VOGONS

Covox speech thingy!!!

Topic actions

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always wanted to try one and yesterday I finally went for it. I came home at 8 p.m. with 40 7.5 kOhm and 40 15 kOhm resistors and was busy until after midnight. I only tested the circuit at night and tried to plug the thingy to the LPT port only in the morning.

And - booom! - it works!

The whole thing sounds like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99196890/ … ce%20debris.MP3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99196890/ … covox_crypt.MP3

And looks like this:
P1010489.JPG

The circuit is pretty much classic, taken from harryaxten.webs.com:
covoxr2.gif

Why 80 resistors?
1) Resistors have to be presicely selected to get good sound quality. The +-1% resistors are harder to find and they cost much more.
2) I'm a not very experienced at soldering things. I can mess up.
3) I might want to build another covox some time, it's nice to have the components.

I took 40 +-5% 7.5 kOhm resistors and selected the best 7 of them with multimeter. The vast majority was 7.45 kOhm, but I managed to get 7.49-7.50 kOhm resistors out of the pile.

The situation with 15kOhm resistors was a little worse. Most of them were 14.80 kOhm and I could only find 8 14.91-14.98 kOhm.

The other components for the job were 3.5mm female jack and DB-25 COM backplate header. I resoldered the DB-25 to reconfigure pins order (Why the hell did they make 25-pin COM port in the first place???). The 3.5 female jack was from an old dead CD drive and it was stereo, so it was forced to mono by connecting pins 2,3,5.

After imagining the whole thing in my head I made holes in a piece of cardboard, fixed the resistors and 3.5 jack in them with some tape and started the job. Then I fitted the cable (and understood that I could make this with 8 less connections). That was pretty much it.

I used Fasttracker to play some tunes from modarchive.org. It is amazing! I have a solid 2.0 SVEN speaker system and it filters out a lot of crap, even if I turn the sound to max, I can't hear much noise. However, when I recorded the tunes with iriver MT30 mp3 player, the noise was there, a lot of it. It must be due to LPT port implementation as I can hear scratches and squeaks while moving the mouse.

A final picture: picking the resistors:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99196890/ … ns/P1010488.JPG

Reply 2 of 64, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

awesome! I bought a clone from a Spanish shop IIRC some time ago and here are the insides:

208zll3.jpg

😊 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 64, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

However, when I recorded the tunes with iriver MT30 mp3 player, the noise was there, a lot of it. It must be due to LPT port implementation as I can hear scratches and squeaks while moving the mouse.

Software that's old enough to use parallel port DAC for sound output predates the ECP or EPP methods of using the parallel port, so no DMA, fully interrupt driven. Very CPU intensive at sampling rates high enough for audio.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 64, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm actually very impressed! Sounds fantastic.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 64, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The sound quality is very nice, much better than you would expect a circuit solely comprised of sixteen resistors.

Has anyone ever opened a true Covox Speech Thing? There are several diagrams for a Covox-type circuit, but has anyone actually seen what is inside the original?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 6 of 64, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you guys 😉 😉

keropi, your device is electrically the same, it utilizes different resistors for each step of the ladder... Cheaper to produce in quantity, harder to make individually 😀 Anyway, do you like how it sounds?

SquallStrife, thank you, I'll look into it. I didn't make any extra configuration with LPT ports.

Reply 8 of 64, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did record Pinball Fantasies with it about a year ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFtFju1Gf4w
btw if you start cronologia with setup then it shows also a resistor design for lpt1.
A lot of early demos had infos for this included, such as Unreal 1.0 from FC.

Inertia Player 1.22 has support for LPT1 too.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 64, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

elianda, thank you for your information 😀 I've seen several youtube videos featuring Pinball Fantasies on covox and they all seem to sound differently. I wonder if that's different covox builds or just software/codec/recording device issues.

vetz, free of charge, provided that I have a good company while making it 😀

Reply 12 of 64, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, as Racoonrider said, the Resistor values vary and there are several more or less sophisticated designs.
And there is of course always the way how it was recorded in the end involved too.

Just as side note, the large speaker of the IBM PS/2 has already nearly the same sound quality as the Covox.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 13 of 64, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the place I got my clone still sells them: http://retrocables.es/tienda/index.php?id_pro … oduct&id_lang=4 (I also made a thread back when I was looking for one: vogons link)

RacoonRider it sounds acceptable... you get sound allright but it has "static" with it 🤣
I also have an original Disney Sound Source, I wonder how to test it witn mods

edit: modplay supports all speaker/covox/disney devices 😁
http://www.awe.com/mark/dev/modplay.html

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16 of 64, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool, but there are multiple schemes i found, we need to work out which one is the best:

appunti01gp0.png
covoxr2.gif
lpt-dac.gif
xbabice1_lpt_dac.gif

Some of these schematics use different value resistors, while the other one is 20k and 10k.
If somebody with a bit more experience could lend a hand, i can draw everything from LPT cable to complete project.

Also, ive managed to find 1% resistors where i live, 20k and 10k. The prices are 0.03$ for piece on the online catalog, will go and check in other electronics stores.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 17 of 64, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow 😀 You've got good prices out there, I bought mine for 0.06$ a piece and 1% were around $1.

It does not really matter what values you chose as long as you keep the 2:1 scale of the ladder.

If you remember physics, most circuits can be resolved to equivalent circuits:
043paralconnect_res.gif

As long as the resistors have the same value, the first is R/2 and the second is R+R:
71234484.jpg

So basically, if you compare scheme 2 and 3 of your post, there's not much of a difference resistance-wise.

The other thing is capacitors. I think they are there to filter out some part of the static noise, but I never used one. I think I just wanted to start with the easiest possible solution.

Reply 18 of 64, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah L and T filters. Low pass, high pass and band pass.
Hmm, i didnt do much electronics for a long time, but i do have knowledge. Maybe we can design/upgrade the existing scheme to get the most out of it? An filter certainly would be a good addition.

I can make illustrations for the most basic and advanced version, that isn't a problem.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 19 of 64, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Neat! I've been meaning to try building one of these for my little 486 project computer. Only problem then is I lose the ability to use my 10BT LPT ethernet adapter. Does this work with any game or does it specifically have to support Disney Sound Source/Covox? I bet playing back this mp3 on your cpu must have absolutely hammered it.