Topic actions

First post, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After years of futile searching everywhere I finally got the ultimate 286:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=140971784286

No need to transplant oscillators any more. Raw power rulez by default.

It would be nice to have a faster coprocessor but one of Barney's last 87XLs (I have the last two he was selling) will do just fine...

Last edited by Jolaes76 on 2014-05-16, 10:34. Edited 1 time in total.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 1 of 78, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice score. Artifact Systems is becoming a lifesaver for things like that. I got my 20mhz board from him.

You do realize, though, that a 25mhz 286 is going to have speed issues with some early games right? The cool factor of having the fastest 286 and that not many other people have one kind of offsets that.

Reply 2 of 78, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are right, this thing will definitely run most '87-'88 games too fast, some of them even with turbo on (crazy thing working backwards, isnt it)
Fortunately, I am not particularly interested in the XT era (yet)... My first PC was a Headland 286.

I have just realized that it was my 10th purchase from the guy. The rest were smaller/cheaper items, though. Reliable dealer, fast shipper.

Reply 3 of 78, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've bought a few items from that guy too, wish we had more sellers like him as it would make the world a much, much better place, for a few people anyway.

The 286-25 is a fascinating item, so thats a 25mhz bus? Does that thing has external cache? Its a great board with the 30 pin ram slots and a miracle the battery hasn't self destructed, a great score!

Reply 5 of 78, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is supposed to be... From Redhill to Vintage hw forums, many people remembered so... We will see the facts. I can run the benchmarks when I get the board but will need help with the comparison because I do not have any 386/486 SX systems.

Reply 6 of 78, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should be faster than a 386SX-16. I think Even a 286-16 was faster than a 386SX-16 (unless it had cache).

The memory chips on the 286-25 are DRAM. I am only aware of one single 286 motherboard that has the option for L2 cache, and I have never seen one in the flesh (or photos for that matter).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 78, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Magazines at the time wrote that a 286 and a 386SX are roughly as fast, with the 286 slightly faster because it didn't have to convert internal 32-bit stuff to the 16-bit bus.

We had a 20 MHz Harris 286 for a while, between an 8086 and a 386DX-40. Did run a lot of games, though from today's standpoint I don't really see the need for a fast 286 for gaming.

Reply 8 of 78, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fastest 286 I have is a 16 or 20 (could be a 20 running at 16 because of board limitations).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 10 of 78, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the exact same board at home, received some time ago without a BIOS chip. I have a couple of 27C512 EPROMs but I recently discovered that, rather than looking for an UV eraser and a programmer, it should be easier to just use a DIP-32 flash chip - it requires a bit of work to adapt, but nothing fancy... I can't wait to see if I have a good board or not (and if I do, it's nice to know I could get that much money for it 😁 ).

Reply 11 of 78, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great find! My question is (and I am struggling with this problem as well), how do you use expanded memory with that motherboard? I have Harris 20mhz 286 motherboard, but I cannot use my AST Rampage 286 card at that speed to produce expanded memory (even using wait states). I tried different drivers for the C&T chipset, as well as NEAT chipset expanded memory driver, without success. I tried all BIOS settings with shadow RAM, in conjuction with expanded memory settings, again without any results.

Reply 12 of 78, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EMS must be simulated then. MM.SYS or HT12MM.SYS is the driver -if my memory serves -for the Headland chipset. EMM 286 Limulator worked for me with a CHIPS based 12 mhz 286.

Remember, your chipset must be explicitly supported by the driver.

http://ibm-pc.org/drivers/memory/memory.htm

Reply 13 of 78, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it seems vintage hardware is easier to find in our neighborhood. Meaning Eastern Europe.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 14 of 78, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's natural. Recycling was not option - hardware, just like anything else was far more valuable by the end of the commie era than a western consumer could have ever imagined... This "spare it, save it, keep the old one kicking" principle still lingers around here - or better, is strengthened by the economical crisis.

Reply 16 of 78, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fillosaurus wrote:

Well, it seems vintage hardware is easier to find in our neighborhood. Meaning Eastern Europe.

Probably because that older hardware was kept in service longer over there because fewer people could afford to keep upgrading every time something new came out. Someone mentioned the Soviet era Spectrum clones. I did some research on these a while back and there were a LOT of them produced by dozens of manufacturers. Some of them even had capabilities that went beyond the original design specs. The Spectrum clones were like the Commodore 64 of Eastern Europe, everyone had one and they kept producing them long after they were considered obsolete.

Reply 17 of 78, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
idspispopd wrote:

Magazines at the time wrote that a 286 and a 386SX are roughly as fast, with the 286 slightly faster because it didn't have to convert internal 32-bit stuff to the 16-bit bus.

We had a 20 MHz Harris 286 for a while, between an 8086 and a 386DX-40. Did run a lot of games, though from today's standpoint I don't really see the need for a fast 286 for gaming.

Me too..

I have a turbo XT ( it wil run normal slow XT games and games that needed a little more speed run as well.) 1985 till 1990 area)

Iam going to build a 286 12mhz for faster games (for games that would run to fast on the 386 computer) and games that runs to slow (needed a 286 for it) on the turbo XT.. I guess 12mhz 286 was the standard from that time area.. 16mhz would be nice, but i guess 12mhz should fast enough for me..

And i have a 386 DX 40mhz computer.. (for game area 1992 till 1994)

I dont know why i should have a 20 - 25Mhz 286 computer.. Because most of the software you needed a 386 for it..

20-25mhz was more a late option for people who wanted a faster computer for a lower price (because a 386 computer was more expensiver then the 286 in that time..)

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 18 of 78, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could not agree more. I consider these being more of the base of an experiment than actual gaming computers. What are latest/last games and business apps it can run at an acceptable speed? What if we could not afford to upgrade to a 386? (I could not, my second computer was a Cyrix DX40...)
It was not nearly as expensive as buying a high-end 66 mhz capable 486 board (those are way over USD 200 by now). In the meantime I managed to build a stable 180 Mhz AMD 5x86 config on a Soyo SAW2, much more reliable than an oc'ed Cyrix which IMHO is not a real 486 anyway but a lobotomized M1... So having done with the 486 speed race I just decided to do this experiment.

Reply 19 of 78, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can imagine a 25MHz 286 must be able to run Wing Commander quite nicely. Wolf3D would probably be playable as well, though afaik that game really needs a 386 to run well.