VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I popped the voodoo 1 card from my aborted SS7 system into the P3 system in my sig. Some games run fine, but then I run into certain issues with others, as shown in the attached picture.

I'm running 98se with the 2.1 updater, DX7, Voodoo drivers version 3 (I think that's what those are).

This particular screen popped up when trying to run the dos version of carmageddon max pack, but I've had it do the exact same thing in a few other games.

The card seems to be fine for other things. The Tomb Raider demo pops right up with the spinning 3dfx logo and plays just fine, unreal gold played just fine with it.

Any troubleshooting I missed on this?

Attachments

• Filename
    voodoo.jpg
    File size
    147.63 KiB
    Downloads
    73 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 2 of 8, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That never occurred to me. Are 3dfx cards affected by FSB?

The board and CPU are both 133mhz parts along with the RAM in this machine.

I guess I could drop it down as a test. The voodoo card in here is really only temporary as it's really outclassed by the 9700 pro or the 5900 ultra I'm going to swap in for the radeon.

Reply 4 of 8, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When running the Voodoo 1 at 133mhz FSB, most DOS 3DFX games will not work. Windows Glide games do. I've tested and confirmed this in a previous post here on Vogons.

What does work and what may not, could potentially vary from motherboard to motherboard and Voodoo to Voodoo card.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 8, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well...

I had actually been considering underclocking this thing at some point anyway.

I've been testing all of my games and a couple seem to run just a tad too slow. I'm going to try bringing it down to 100mhz fsb and see how it behaves. This is only temporary anyway. Going to swap out the v1 for dual v2 or a v5 pci as soon as I can afford it.

This is more for just fucking around with a v1 in a way overpowered system for it more than actual usefulness.

Never going to learn the ins and outs of these things if I don't get in there and test.

Reply 6 of 8, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know the P3 is way overpowered for the v1 card, but, since I'm going to rebuild another box JUST to showcase the voodoo 1, what level of CPU am I looking at to max out the card without really going overboard on it?

I'm going to build the box around the voodoo card, Win95c, DX6.

Reply 7 of 8, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 66MHz FSB PIIs would be the max I'd go for Voodoo 1.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 8 of 8, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I'd pretty much be rebuilding the first machine in my sig. I was thinking maybe switching over to one of the k6-2s I have, 475 or 500mhz, but those are still kinda overkill. I'd get to use those 3DNow! patches for quake though...

I just need to find a decent Millenium or another S3 card to pair it up with as the Stealth 4000 has issues with some DOS games. TIE Fighter refuses to acknowledge the VESA abilities of the card, even with all the helper programs from S3 or display doctor etc.