VOGONS

First post, by bigskymusiclover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What one system would a person want to own to cover all games from 1995-2001?

What OS and what specs would be ideal?

Reply 2 of 8, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is late DOS well up into the 3D area. I would say:

Pentium 3 with 440BX system
Geforce 4 or 5 for DOS, Windows, OpenGL and Direct3D games
Voodoo2 in SLI for Glide games
AWE64 Gold ISA or Vortex2 PCI for sound

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

vetz I would be interested if you tell how well Pył works on your fastest available dos machine with maximum gfx/sound details. Max details needs hex editing config file (view distance, and textures quality) so contact me when you will be trying that so you don't have to check that yourself 😀

Reply 4 of 8, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:

vetz I would be interested if you tell how well Pył works on your fastest available dos machine with maximum gfx/sound details. Max details needs hex editing config file (view distance, and textures quality) so contact me when you will be trying that so you don't have to check that yourself 😀

Would have to be my 440BX system with the 1400mhz Tualatin and a pair of Voodoo2 in SLI. Maybe it could work on my Athlon XP machine as well if I switched out the soundcard, though I doubt that would make much difference tbh. Since you're asking, do you want a VGA gameplay recording as well?

Reply 5 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no need for recording, and sb16 audio is a must as it is really (revolutionary) used and drains a lot of cpu power. I checked the game on my athlon with voodoo3 but no isa slot there. PIII450+v3+sb16 was not perfectly fluent enough for me on large areas. not sure if double v2 would be enough though 😉 Maybe it is not worth checking that in this case. I expected you to have some v5 😉

Reply 6 of 8, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:

no need for recording, and sb16 audio is a must as it is really (revolutionary) used and drains a lot of cpu power. I checked the game on my athlon with voodoo3 but no isa slot there. PIII450+v3+sb16 was not perfectly fluent enough for me on large areas. not sure if double v2 would be enough though 😉 Maybe it is not worth checking that in this case. I expected you to have some v5 😉

I have the V5, both as PCI and AGP. Soundblaster 16 is also not a problem. If I have to test with the SB16 then I'm limited to my 440BX system as the fastest I can test with.

Reply 7 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hm.. may be worth a try 😀 (I regret not buying v5 when i had a chance...).

I also wonder if you will actually like the game (and my translation 😉 ) and how far you will get without any tips (if you happen to like the game that is 😉 ).

One thing that i don't like is that if you die too often (or just do a quickload too much) the game dramatically lowers its difficulty sometimes even further than the problem you are struggling, hence it spoils the fun... (you don't even know what is going on as you don't encounter problems at all). I think actually every death/loading is counted so i guess it is best not to die at all. Though you can always restore config files and start again.

Last edited by robertmo on 2013-05-13, 18:38. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 8 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I enclose menu.set file description for hex editing
you only need to change fog distance to 15h and textures quality to 00h

Attachments

• Filename
    menuset.txt
    File size
    2.08 KiB