VOGONS

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is not exactly documented all that well on the internet as far as runnable applications go. I tried this one out recently. It's a Quake 3 test version that was apparently created just for that effect, which cannot be turned on or off, at least not in the menu. The motion blur is seen on the weapons and powerups laying around. Also probably on moving characters, but I don't think you can spawn bots in Q3Test without replacing the exe, so couldn't check that out.

The effect is quite nice and subtle actually. Probably one of, if not the earliest use of such an effect in PC games. Such framebuffer effects were already widespread in N64 and PS2 games back then.

The problem with it is that it absolutely needs 4xFSAA to be displayed correctly. With no FSAA and 2xFSAA it's just varying degrees of screwup on those objects. Probably the main reason why they haven't bothered to patch this in the full version (besides, obviously, the demise of 3dfx), because I doubt people would have settled for ~17 FPS drops@800x600 on a fast game like this.

Apparently Serious Sam First/Second Encounter support this as well with these commands written in the console:

ogl_iTBuffereffect=2
ogl_iTBufferSamples=4 (8 for V5 6000)

It's supposed to only work with 16-bit color depth and bring faster FSAA than with other games, also depth of field (in the background)+motion blur (on the ejecting cartridges) effects. There is a video of that on youtube, but the author makes no mention of it, and you can't see very much to begin with. I don't have those games, so can't test it right now.

Also I have noticed that with 3DMark2000 it constantly keeps saying "TB" (regardless of card) in the settings line, so that could mean that it's used there as well.

Oh, and finally... I would have posted some screenshots of it here in Q3Test, but the screenshot function in the menu just refuses to work. 🙁 It says "wait; wait; wait; wait; screenshot" or something, but I can't find any screenshots in the folder or anywhere else afterwards. Binding it to a key and pressing that throws me out of the game. And printscreen just gives a mess.

Last edited by d1stortion on 2013-05-14, 10:24. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 4 of 9, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here: http://www.falconfly.de/downloads/Q3_Motion_Blur.zip

And there's a video of the demo on youtube, but 2006. Have fun counting those pixels...

Also here it says that the Quake3 T-buffer implementation was hacked in by 3dfx themselves.

Reply 5 of 9, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glide64 emulates N64 frame buffer effects on a Voodoo 5. Motion blur works in certain games.

"The extensions, necessary for hardware frame buffer emulation (HWFBE) were powerful and at the same time easy for use and they exactly match N64 functionality. With Voodoo 5 I could work with auxiliary frame buffers exactly the same way as N64 games do. After several months of work I obtained impressive results: many frame buffer effects were supported in hardware, including motion blur. HWFBE also allowed me to emulate effects, which were impossible to support with the standard method, e.g. dynamic shadows."

Reply 7 of 9, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks awesome on Perfect Dark, trust me. The motion blur only kicks in when you've been punched or hit with tranquilizer darts, or when you're using the combat boost.

Reply 8 of 9, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tgod wrote:

Glide64 emulates N64 frame buffer effects on a Voodoo 5. Motion blur works in certain games.

Oh, I knew about that. Actually none of the newer Napalm WX (?) releases would even start up on a Voodoo3, they work with Voodoo5 though. Not that I could find any mention of that in the help files.

Also Lewpy's Glide plugin for PSX emulators does some VSA-100 stuff.

VSA-100 would achieve the correct PSX lighting equation on VSA-100 hardware, if the Glide driver was not bugged. Due to the bug, this mode will not work. Since 3dfx is winding down, I doubt we will ever see this working. This is a crying shame, as it appears to work in their D3D & OpenGL drivers, just not Glide³.

* ver. 1.0.40 - 13.07.2002 - VSA-100 Blending Option I have managed to get the VSA-100 blending option working, thanks to […]
Show full quote

* ver. 1.0.40 - 13.07.2002
- VSA-100 Blending Option
I have managed to get the VSA-100 blending option working, thanks to having
access to source code for the Glide3 driver (a big thanks to KoolSmoky &
his Glide3 project at http://www.ve3d.com/koolsmoky/glide3x.html).
I don't think it is perfect yet, but it is very promising as a way of getting
near-perfect PSX colours on a Voodoo4/5. Let me know of any glitches.
NOTE: This is only for Voodoo4/5 cards.

Not sure if both refer to the same thing and it got fixed or not in the end...

robertmo wrote:

what is the advantage of motion blur? Why do you actually like this effect? Isn't it better when everything is sharp?

Because the effect on those items is subtle, yet still differs from all of those static looking 2000 PC games. Like I said, I didn't see it on enemy models, so it could be a bit too much there.

Also I found some Serious Sam screenshots on the net:

http://www.voodooalert.de/board/index.php?pag … 39a7f59c37d3d4d
http://www.voodooalert.de/board/index.php?pag … a3b4b0c48a04e94

That's the fancy depth of field effect... or rather, lack thereof 😁

Btw, I don't understand why Q3Test complains about a missing Glide3x.dll when run on a computer without 3dfx card. I thought Quake 3 was an OpenGL game; perhaps with 3dfx MiniGL ("Voodoo" driver ingame), but that isn't Glide3x.dll is it?