VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone have a PCI-based Radeon 7000 and a PCI-based 486 motherboard with SiS or UMC chipsets? If so, would you be willing to,

1) Determine the system POSTS with the Radeon card installed.

2) Determine if the Windows 98SE display drivers work properly.

3) Determine if the OpenGL drivers for the Radeon work with Quake II.

After the success of the Rage 128 on a 486, I'm continuing my expansion onward with ATI. I curious just how many more incremental frames/second one can get on a 486 board. For example, when going from the Matrox G200 to the ATI Rage 128 VR, the Quake II-GL frame rate jumped from 7.6 to 9.5 fps. The quoted frame rates are with default settings and with sound enabled.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 3, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know if this helps:
A friend tried to install a PCI Radeon (don't know exactly which one, must have been one of 7000/7200/7500) on an Asus P55T2P4 (Intel HX).
The system didn't post.
The card worked fine in my system (Gigabyte GA-5SG100, SiS chipset, had an AGP slot).

I don't know what the problem was, might even have been the BIOS.

I suppose you could indeed get higher fps with later cards because hardware T&L could help a bit for OpenGL games. A Radeon 7000 does not have T&L yet, though.

Reply 2 of 3, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could be a hardware incompatibility. This Rage 128 VR I have does not even turn on in some PIII machines, but works fine in my 486.

The best chance of getting Radeon drivers work on a 486 is probably to start with one of the first Radeons and work my way up if the base model works. With which PCI Radeon did hardware T&L first come about?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 3, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Radeon VE aka Radeon 7000 (RV100) is the only model that does not have T&L.
It came later than the original Radeon SDR/DDR (aka Radeon 7200) so you might try that one first.