VOGONS

Reply 41 of 54, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

you know, in a thread with the title of various non-pentium processors, how about not spoonfeeding the same 'minimum requirements is pentium' every post?

Cite specific examples or it didn't happen.

Reply 42 of 54, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
I doubt any game released in 1996 would run any better than a slideshow on a 386 system even with a FPU. […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

387 is just the co-processor, but yes, a 386dx system would need a co-processor to run Quake.

I doubt any game released in 1996 would run any better than a slideshow on a 386 system even with a FPU.

Minimum requirements calls for a Pentium 75 or better according to this

http://gamesystemrequirements.com/games.php?id=606

sliderider wrote:

When they make up the minimum specs for a game, they don't mean minimum to execute, they mean minimum to be playable so using that standard, Quake is not usable with a 386 even if it does boot and run at a snail's pace. If they had published the minimum specs to run as a 386 with 387 FPU there would have been hell to pay.

Now get the fuck out. 😀 You have nothing new to say/contribute. You're only pissing us off just for kicks.

Reply 43 of 54, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:
sliderider wrote:
I doubt any game released in 1996 would run any better than a slideshow on a 386 system even with a FPU. […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

387 is just the co-processor, but yes, a 386dx system would need a co-processor to run Quake.

I doubt any game released in 1996 would run any better than a slideshow on a 386 system even with a FPU.

Minimum requirements calls for a Pentium 75 or better according to this

http://gamesystemrequirements.com/games.php?id=606

sliderider wrote:

When they make up the minimum specs for a game, they don't mean minimum to execute, they mean minimum to be playable so using that standard, Quake is not usable with a 386 even if it does boot and run at a snail's pace. If they had published the minimum specs to run as a 386 with 387 FPU there would have been hell to pay.

Now get the fuck out. 😀 You have nothing new to say/contribute. You're only pissing us off just for kicks.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I was only responding to a message that was directed at me.

Reply 44 of 54, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, I've been thinking about it for a bit, and you know what I would like to see? Install Win95 on a 386 w/ 387, then try running Quake II. 🤣 See how many minutes it takes to render a frame. 😁 It won't be even remotely playable, but hey, why not give it a shot?

Reply 45 of 54, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Hmm, I've been thinking about it for a bit, and you know what I would like to see? Install Win95 on a 386 w/ 387, then try running Quake II. 🤣 See how many minutes it takes to render a frame. 😁 It won't be even remotely playable, but hey, why not give it a shot?

I'm not entirely certain if it does or not, but if Q-II uses any 486 or Pentium specific instructions, it will probably crash when it gets to an instruction that the 386 can't execute.

Reply 46 of 54, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uy! a 386 + Quake 2... i really wanna see too!! sadly im very busy with work right now, but as soon i can, i will try to do!

I have a 386+387, 16mb ram and 1GB CF card, but only DOS+win3.1

By the way, finally today I get the AMD 5x86, and is amazing!!

The performance is exactly the same that a 486 at 133mhz, jeje, the "5x86" is nothing... jaja

The 33mhz difference helps a lot in emulators, specially Callus, now callus is fully playable

With the DX4100 in 3dbench i get 71.2 now 90.4, very good score

I really hope one day, i can get a Cyrix 5x86 to compare against the AMD

Sadly it seems my motherboard not work good at 40mhz, I can overclock the 5x86 to 160mhz, but the machine freeze when loading DOS

Even if disable L2 or lowering timings, still freeze 🙁

Reply 47 of 54, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I'm not entirely certain if it does or not, but if Q-II uses any 486 or Pentium specific instructions, it will probably crash when it gets to an instruction that the 386 can't execute.

I've heard of people running it on their 486 boxes, so I'm fairly certain that it doesn't take advantage of any Pentium-specific instructions. As for 486 instructions, I don't exactly know for sure. Didn't most devs basically just treat the 486 as a faster 386?

Reply 48 of 54, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Q2 doesn't rely on specific Pentium instructions to function. Neither does Q3A. I've had both of those games going on a 486 before. I even tried OpenArena on one.

So............there!

The games that WILL FAIL on a 486 are those who issue a timestamp clock instruction to evaluate teh mhz. like FF7PC

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 49 of 54, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Q2 doesn't rely on specific Pentium instructions to function. Neither does Q3A. I've had both of those games going on a 486 before. I even tried OpenArena on one.

So............there!

The games that WILL FAIL on a 486 are those who issue a timestamp clock instruction to evaluate teh mhz. like FF7PC

I wonder, would it be possible to NOP that instruction using a debugger like SoftICE to get FF7 running on a 486?

Reply 50 of 54, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On that topic, back in the yonder days I was unable to play X-Wing vs TIE Fighter on my Am5x86 because it would always lock up within a minute or so in the flight engine. I assumed it was because the game requires a Pentium.

Reply 51 of 54, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

On that topic, back in the yonder days I was unable to play X-Wing vs TIE Fighter on my Am5x86 because it would always lock up within a minute or so in the flight engine. I assumed it was because the game requires a Pentium.

Have you ever tried playing it with a POD to see if that really was the problem?

Reply 52 of 54, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Have you ever tried playing it with a POD to see if that really was the problem?

Back then I didn't have a POD around to try. Right now I don't have any 486 boards so can't test.

Reply 53 of 54, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Only the 486SX (and 386SX too. Yes a 386dx can run Quake)

386SX 16Mhz does run Quake with FPU ;D

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 54 of 54, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've run Quake 1 and Grand Theft Auto on 386DX40 + FPU.

Getting it to run and seeing it with your own eyes, is an achievement on it's own. I love to try those things out.

I actually have win95 on my 386 for testing purposes... i think i can try quake 2 on it. 😁

(Looking at topic's heading, i think 386 is really ot here?)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!