VOGONS

First post, by bigskymusiclover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my haul from the local e waste event, I found a little old Compaq Presario 5304 that runs on a Cyrix MII-366GP CPU the seal on the case has never been broken.

I think I might just pull it from the scrap pile and set it aside, just because it's diff. meaning it's not an Intel or AMD. Do Cyrix chips have any love? What would this run at performance wise to an Intel?

Reply 2 of 4, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the cyrix 6x86/m2's performance is unimpressive, its highly overrated as the 366gp's actual frequency is 100*2.5. it has slower fpu performance than the k6, and there is little room for overclocking either.
but still, it won't do any bad if you collect one at a reasonable price.

Reply 3 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It really depends on how you look at it. At the time of release it was an absolute dog, but it still had value as an upgrade chip in older systems (if your bios could be updated to support it). It also performs quite well considering it only runs at 250MHz.

Of course, I still prefer the K6+ chips.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 4, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did somebody say "Cyrix" (again!)?

There is one document which will answer all your questions concerning the performance of a Cyrix MII-366GP. It is the Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison. Refer to the link in my signature. Is your MII-366GP one of the rarer 2.2V pieces, or the older/hotter 2.9V chip? If it is the 2.2V chip, you can probably run it at 285 or 300 MHz.

If you want to run the chip at its stock rated speed of 2.5 x 100, or 250 MHz, then the OVERALL performance was about that of a PII-233. For a machine which mainly browses the internet or runs office-type appes, then it was about a PII-266. For gaming, it was only about as good as the original Pentium MMX 200 (as confirmed by Quake I and II benchmarks).

In reality, the max. stable speed you might be able to get out of any Cyrix MII is 333 MHz, which makes it about as fast as a PII-233 and AMD K6-2-400 in Quake II.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.