VOGONS

First post, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just bought Sound Canvas and cannot figure out why is it sound great when connected to DOSBOX via Edirol USB-to-MIDI adapter but sounds strange (I can hear the police siren during Monkey Island intro) when I connected it to a real hardware using Joystick-to-MIDI cable.

Of course I tried different sound cards (AWE32, AWE64, SB16, YMF-718S). No luck.

I suppose there are some MPU401 incompatibilities within those "MPU401 100% compatibles". 😒

Seeking advice!

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 1 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a Sound Cavas.

Try Doom, Descent, Raptor, Duke Nukem 3D.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 11, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

It's a Sound Cavas.

Try Doom, Descent, Raptor, Duke Nukem 3D.

It sounds awesome in Doom 2 and Magic Carpet even with Joystick-to-MIDI cable. The question wasn't about games with GM support but about SC-55 MT-32 mode that doesn't work well when I use Joystick-to-MIDI cable.

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 6 of 11, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your computer may be simply too fast. Try disabling caches in BIOS. At first I thought this could be the lack of MPU-401 Intelligent Mode support which some MT-32 games need, but afaik Monkey Island uses only the default instruments so that can't be it... Have you tried the MT-32 mode on AWE?

Reply 7 of 11, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Your computer may be simply too fast. Try disabling caches in BIOS. At first I thought this could be the lack of MPU-401 Intelligent Mode support which some MT-32 games need, but afaik Monkey Island uses only the default instruments so that can't be it... Have you tried the MT-32 mode on AWE?

You were absolutely right! I disabled both caches and voilà now it works as it have to.

Thanks a lot!

P.S.
Yes, I tried the MT-32 mode on AWE cards and can't say that I liked how it sounds.

Reply 8 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stbunny wrote:

It sounds awesome in Doom 2 and Magic Carpet even with Joystick-to-MIDI cable. The question wasn't about games with GM support but about SC-55 MT-32 mode that doesn't work well when I use Joystick-to-MIDI cable.

Sorry I misunderstood. But you could have mentioned this as well, because it's not unusual for people to confuse LA with GM support 😀

For my MS-DOS Time-Machine I went with a Intel Pentium (non-MMX). They support the 1.5 multiplier and you can run the machine at 100MHz for higher compatibility.

I talk about this in more details here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxnB2CD6aw

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 11, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stbunny wrote:

You were absolutely right! I disabled both caches and voilà now it works as it have to.

Nice that it worked. Be sure to report all games which you come across that have the same issue here 😀

Reply 10 of 11, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Sorry I misunderstood. But you could have mentioned this as well, because it's not unusual for people to confuse LA with GM support 😀

For my MS-DOS Time-Machine I went with a Intel Pentium (non-MMX). They support the 1.5 multiplier and you can run the machine at 100MHz for higher compatibility.

It's OK. English isn't my mother tongue so I could write the question unclear. 😕
Thanks. I'll take your advice and shall try to change the CPU to slower one or I'll just underclock 166MMX.

d1stortion wrote:
stbunny wrote:

Nice that it worked. Be sure to report all games which you come across that have the same issue here 😀

I'm learning something new everyday. Thanks again!

Reply 11 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey no worries, welcome to the club 😀

The MMX supports a 2x multiplier. So with a FSB of 66 MHz that will be 133 MHz.

The non-MMX supports 1.5. So with a FSB of 66 MHz that will be 100 MHz.

There are boards than can go even lower on the FSB, but I have quite new ATX Socket 7 stuff and they only go as low as 66. For everything else turning off the cache is the way to go. Haven't come across anything that wouldn't run well.

My YouTube channel