VOGONS

First post, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I was popping off the crappy thermalshield fan off of my voodoo 4500 to replace it with a proper copper cooler and arctic silver. However, I didn't use compressed air like I normally do for the 5500s, and there was a heatsink already on the back of the board causing stress.
After I got the cooling upgraded, put it back in, aaaand, now it'll display vertical lines on the screen-- and 16-bit mode the desktop, start bar, and nothing won't show up.

So: that leads me to believe either a trace got cut/broken, or one or some of the VRAMs died. I have a sick feeling that some traces somewhere got damaged-- either me not using a credit card and scratching some traces on the VSA-100, or somewhere inside the board. Whatever the case, I guess I'll try replacing the VRAMs as the next step.

Just to eliminate the the GPU being the cause, I already tried applying pressure and baking the card-- I still have the same results afterward:
182945_163676337144552_547900224_n.jpg
960227_163243700521149_1670730149_n.jpg

EDIT: I guess if all else fails, I can use this card for science and see if the unused RAM pads can boost it to 64MB.
I could also solder on the DVI connector and corresponding chips to see if that gives me a different output as well.

Reply 1 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you check to make sure that nothing broke off during the modding? I always put my cards in the freezer before trying to break the old epoxy. Chances are that there might be a crack somewhere and I did ruin a Banshee in the same way as your 4500. As for the card you can always get another 4500 and salvage the vram from your current 4500 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 4500 can be upgraded to 64mb, but the one example I have seen of a homebrew 64mb 4500 also had some wires connecting various things so I don't think it's just a straightforward case of plugging in the chips and having it automatically recognize the extra memory. I think there is more that needs to be done.

This card sold on ebay last year

c90901e94b.png

And a thread from 3dfxzone.it

http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20390

BTW, the person who made the above card has also made 128mb Voodoo 5's as shown here

http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1223002040

Reply 3 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 4500 agp is straight forward as there is empty pads but all the rest of the VSA era cards have to use double density memory in order to be upgraded. The extra wires are for the hard strapping (timings) so that the higher density memory works correctly. The 4500 agp is the only one besides the V1 and V2 where modding the memory is easy.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 6, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe bake it in an oven? If its a BGA joint maybe it will mend. I'd go over it looking for nicks or cuts in the PCB.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 6 of 6, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Did you check to make sure that nothing broke off during the modding? I always put my cards in the freezer before trying to break the old epoxy. Chances are that there might be a crack somewhere and I did ruin a Banshee in the same way as your 4500. As for the card you can always get another 4500 and salvage the vram from your current 4500 😉

There's no physical cracks to the PCB. What I do to pop off the heatsinks normally is apply liquid from compressed air cans to cool down the chips (this way the whole card isn't frozen).

The VRAMs could very well could have died. There are some listed on ebay: samsung also had produced faster variants as well.

At this point my two suspects are the VRAMs, or the scratch on the VSA-100's PCB I did-- the VSA-100 chip has a lower PCB with very small traces.

sliderider wrote:
The 4500 can be upgraded to 64mb, but the one example I have seen of a homebrew 64mb 4500 also had some wires connecting various […]
Show full quote

The 4500 can be upgraded to 64mb, but the one example I have seen of a homebrew 64mb 4500 also had some wires connecting various things so I don't think it's just a straightforward case of plugging in the chips and having it automatically recognize the extra memory. I think there is more that needs to be done.
This card sold on ebay last year
c90901e94b.png

That's the 4500 PCI version, which is quite different in construction. The 4500 AGP one has four empty solder pads. I was curious if the AGP version would automatically accept the RAM soldered on the unused pads or not.

RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Maybe bake it in an oven? If its a BGA joint maybe it will mend. I'd go over it looking for nicks or cuts in the PCB.

I already baked the card in the oven as per above. It actually melted the "4.7" coil a bit. That'll have to be replaced, as well as the SMT electrolytics, because they're old capacitors, and being heated like that isn't good.

swaaye wrote:

Popping a glued heatsink off certainly puts tremendous force on the BGA solder. I have pulled chips right off of a PCB doing this. 😀

The BGA joints are fine, and have been reflowed. I can always use a heat gun for being more direct.
I [accidentally] made a small vertical scratch on the VSA-100's lower PCB, which may have affected some of the traces. No copper is showing, but those traces are so fine they could have been "smushed". So that's one of my suspicions...
It's either that or the VRAMs suffered ESD or were affected by the alcohol I was using to clean the remaining "STB snot glue" from the VSA-100 surface.