VOGONS

First post, by bigskymusiclover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know enough about graphics cards to make a good choice here and need a little bit of help.

I have a Compaq P-III 850Mhz system with no AGP slot so it's running on the Intel 810 graphics chip set. I have the two cards to pick from.

1. GeForce 2 MX400 PCI, needs to have all it's caps replaced.
2. ATI Radeon Rage 6 SDR 32m, needs fan work I am sure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now on my modern windows 7 system, it is running on the Intel gma x4500 chip set graphics. I hvae three cards to pick from.

1. Geforce 9800GT
2. ATI Radeon X600 Pro 128 MB
3. ATI Radeon X300

Thanks for any and all help.

Reply 4 of 8, by bigskymusiclover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's wrong with the ATI card? If it's only like 10% slower then the geforce then I won't worry about it. The reason I ask is the geforce card needs all 10 caps replaced 1000uf at 6.3v, something I just don't look forward to doing

Reply 5 of 8, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ATi card might not be as compatible with games as the GeForce, also the drivers on first generation Radeon cards (and later too, depending who you ask) might make you want to kill all kittens in the neighborhood.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 6 of 8, by bigskymusiclover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your right, I tired no less then a dozen diff drivers for that ATI card and not one worked. No more ATI cards for me. I will scrap all on first sight now.

Aideka wrote:

The ATi card might not be as compatible with games as the GeForce, also the drivers on first generation Radeon cards (and later too, depending who you ask) might make you want to kill all kittens in the neighborhood.

Reply 7 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the speed of those PCI cards would be similar. The Radeon lacks support for things some D3D5 games do. But for D3D6/7 and Quake engines, the cards will be hard to tell apart.

I don't think I'd go through the effort and expenditure of recapping a GF2MX.