Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:

Pentium D is faster
http://www.nixsys.com/nx945.html
I wonder if you can plug anything faster into that Socket775

Not one but two ISA slots!
Seeing as this is using the i945 chipset which supports an FSB up to 800MHz, I guess you could possibly install a Core2Duo E4xxx in there or a Pentium Dual Core.

Reply 4 of 28, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In fact, the i945 supports fsb up to 1066mhz, depending on the chipset variation I think. I have an Core2Duo E6300 installed on an Asus P5LD2-VM MB, that has i945G chipset. The problem with Core2Duo or newer might be that the motherboard vrm is not designed for those processors, on the mb I have, only certain revisions work with C2D.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 6 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This kind of hardware should soon become really cheap and then there should be more test reports available. There is always a "sweet spot" of cheap hardware that changes every year. Stuff before and after goes up in price.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 28, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't trust that Nixsys. They sell renamed mainboards of some suspicious manufacturers at randomly increased prices.

Like, NX850 mobo costs $230 at Nixsys. But wait, it's an Aimmer AMI-I845GV-ISA that costs only $84!

Reply 12 of 28, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aideka wrote:

found a core2quad mb with 2 isa slots 😜 http://www.esis.com.au/Mainboards/P4BWA_Datasheet-1_es.pdf

One retromaniac from Novosibirsk/Russia has such a rig (based on Commell P4-BWA).

aleksej has a Soltek mobo i875 rig.

PARUS has an ITOX mobo i865 rig.

Thus the fastest rig I know of is based on a Q965 chipset with an opportunity to install a Core2 Quad.

Reply 14 of 28, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a Ricoh i845 chipset mobo with a 3.06GHz Northwood processor that had an ISA slot on it. I say had because I used it's PSU in another PC that I had to get some data off and put in a different PSU in it a few weeks later. The PSU was stuffed and it trashed my mobo! AAAAARGH!! Had that cold sweat sinking feeling when I realised the mobo was buggered!

I've replaced it with a Tualatin PIII 1.4GHz and loving it! I'll probably get another P4 ISA board someday, just brings back bad memories!! I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Intel 800 series chipsets were the last to have DMA on the ISA slot (even with an ISA bridge chip) The 900 series chipset boards with an ISA slot lacked DMA so it was useless with most ISA soundcards. Just do some research before hand to be sure.

Reply 15 of 28, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Makes me wonder if this has any truth to it ?:

Intel chipsets since Sandy Bridge once again have a system DMA
capability

http://www.osronline.com/showThread.CFM?link=238574

And will we now be able to find SandyBridge mobos with ISA slots ? 🤣 🤣

Reply 17 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The other thing is that all the late DOS games actually run fine on PCI Sound Cards. For some reason the drivers they use are much more compatible and there aren't many (any?) late DOS games that don't work well on PCI Sound Cards so I believe we should also look into this.

What are the latest PCI mainboards that work with Sound Cards like the AuioPCI, Vortex 2 and others...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 28, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought the 875P/ICH5 chipset was the last chipset to support ISA DMA ever made...and Sandy Bridge suddenly reverses that decision? That would be very surprising, to say the least...

That said, 3.2-3.4 GHz Pentium 4s are already getting into mass overkill territory for anything I'd want real ISA cards for (the one in my system's meant for an AWE32 with ASP/CSP and real OPL3), and having PCIe for a graphics card interface instead of AGP probably means you won't have Win9x graphics drivers at all, particularly if the most powerful card I know of to support Win9x is the GeForce 6800 Ultra.