VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I have a CL-5428 vlb vga and it has a jumper to enable/disable IRQ usage... what is it advised to set on a 486DX2/66 ISA/VLB system?

TIA for any info!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it causes a conflict with my VLB I/O controller... floppies are dead and I see erratic graphics behavior... I can bother fixing this (will need some help though) but first I want to know if vga_irq on such a system makes a difference 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 7, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Read this:

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php?topic=1788.0;wap2

The explanation was new to me, but experience with Cirrus and other cards supporting IRQ2/9 had already shown me that it can be safely disabled without losing compatibility with games.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 5 of 7, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the top of my head, the only game that needs the IRQ enabled is the EGA version of Gauntlet, but that one still wouldn't work correctly on any VGA card (for a different reason).

Reply 6 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just an update:

I removed both the vlb 5428 and the i/o controller , they seem to have issues on this build.
I am using a different vga now, a vlb 5424 based one that had the IRQ jumper to ON by default and an ISA i/o card (don't have any more vlb ones...)
Things seem to run fine , I believe that the vlb i/o card was faulty. The 5428 card had crap quality...
Thanks for the help!

Reply 7 of 7, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to the manual that came with my Viper VLB card, the IRQ jumper is a compatibility setting for EGA software that requires its functionality. VGA operations normally don't use an IRQ and cards with the jumper usually leave it disabled by default.