VOGONS

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I'm trying to contact the guy selling this computer but I don't think he knows much about computers in general.

Any ideas of what could this be?

pd: sorry for the picture but I couldn't get any better ones.

capturadepantallade2013a.png

Reply 1 of 9, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like an XT or AT clone, probably 8086/8088/80286. Not that interesting unless you have some specific games or programs that require a slow system like that.

But you could always pick it up if it's not too expensive. You might find hidden treasures like a Hercules or Adlib card inside.

Reply 4 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like one of many different brands of XT or AT clones. I used to have stacks of these, the same case and all but with different badges on them. I had to get rid of them all to save space and wish I didn't but it was necessary at the time.

Reply 5 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

Is a Hercules card considered a treasure?, can anyone still use it?
I think i still have one somewhere.

You mean this little ol' thing?

T2eC16VEE9s2ugivTBRmlTT1lJw60_35_zps19075a81.jpg

I just bought this one less than a week ago.

Reply 6 of 9, by retrofool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have that exact case, mind you it's in considerably better condition. It was a clone made by DTK and it contained a 10 Mhz XT MB. I bought it in 1988. Right now it has an 8 Mhz NEC V20 system in it because the 10 Mhz MB died. But like sliderider said, it was a VERY common clone case back then.

can't seem to throw anything out...

Reply 8 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

If you check ebay prices, yes it is... But then, according to ebay, everything is a collectors item.

Depends which country ebay we are talking about.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hercules-Grafikkarte-G … =item460f50f993
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hercules-Monochrom-Gra … =item232b2b9930

There is not a high demand for those it seems. I also have one lying around if anyone is interested, it is probably a clone though, much shorter card.

Reply 9 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:

If you check ebay prices, yes it is... But then, according to ebay, everything is a collectors item.

If you're a seller, it's a collector's item. If you're a buyer, it's a piece of junk. Funny how that works. 🤣