VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an Matrox Millenium I and S3 Virge DX (ASUS 3DP-V357DX).
I want to use one of these in the machine from my signature.
I will also link the card to an Monster 3D.

Which is the best choice for DOS and Windows games?

Both are 4MB.
Matrox: MGA

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 8, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Matrox is supposed to have better output, but virge is much more compatible. Depends on what you will use it for, and what games you would play. If you are certain you will not meet any incompatibilities, go for matrox. Otherwise virge 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see, i thought the same as well, since from everyones responses in the past ive known matrox has better output quality and s3 is more compatible.

Ok, i just needed to confirm this, thank you 😀
I need drivers for both under DOS?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 8, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

I see, i thought the same as well, since from everyones responses in the past ive known matrox has better output quality and s3 is more compatible.

Ok, i just needed to confirm this, thank you 😀
I need drivers for both under DOS?

I'm not sure if DOS driver available on video card

Reply 4 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea about the matrox, but for the S3 you might need a VESA bios TSR or Scitech Display Doctor...
If you plan to do some DOS gaming with old titles then the S3 would be better... Personally I'd just use the S3 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 8, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to run a Matrox MGA Millenium, then a Matrox Mystique 220 but later switched to a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro and stuck with it.

Just try both and pick your favorite. It's that simple.

Reply 7 of 8, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

No idea about the matrox, but for the S3 you might need a VESA bios TSR or Scitech Display Doctor...
If you plan to do some DOS gaming with old titles then the S3 would be better... Personally I'd just use the S3 😀

Display doctor for a card that already includes (through slow) 3D acceleration? I thought a card that new would be compatible with VESA 2.0.

Reply 8 of 8, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Output quality on S3 cards are very hit and miss. Just make sure you use a highend S3 card if you're going that route.

The Matroxs have better speed, always good output quality and generally work very well imo.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes