VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello!

does anyone have any info on this "SS 486 rev:P2CI" motherboard?
I can't seem to find any, not even the jumper settings... I have the chance to buy it on AmiBay but without at least the jumper settings I can't see it being useful...

th_Resizeof20130526_135317_zps60fa604d.jpg (click to view full size)

also does J2 looks like a ps2 mouseport? or a useless EXT battery connector (why they would add one when the mobo already uses a CR2032 is beyond me)

thanks in advance for any info!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why don't you just build a Socket 7 Time-Machine? You know you want one 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ already have one my friend, a HOT-519p + p200mmx
I just wanted a 2nd machine as well, it started as a 386DX, mobo crapped out on me, moved to a 486 vlb one but I am not very satisfied... both 386+486 used the same amibios and I found some incompatibilities (like if you have on bios the option "memory remmaping -> enabled" jazz jackrabbit crashes...!) and I am not too happy.... I remember that on the Soyo 4-SAW mobo that I sold I never had to worry about stuff like that (award bios)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 18, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually agree with Mau1wurf1977 on this one. Get a good Super Socket 7 board and enjoy. I got a DFI one, and the board is top notch.

Get a Pentium 100. If its too fast downclock it to 75, disable its cache, yada yada yada...

Better yet, get an AMD K5 and enjoy the best integer performance ever. I can get my PR166 to work at PR200 with no problem and running cool enough with a super socket 7 cooler. It's fast!

For me this system is gonna work as a Windows 98 SE based machine, to play all those games i enjoyed in that time period. An AMD K6-3+ running at 500, with a voodoo banshee, SDRAM, will be fast enough for that time period gaming. Actually quite a bit faster than the system i used back in the day.

Reply 4 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I already have a stable and awesome p1 built for both DOS and 98SE... but nothing beat the "turbo switch" on a 486 mobo (I have even registered moslo deluxe some years back, can't say that I get good results in games, too erratic behavior for my taste) , plus I want to have a real 486 around... 😉

Reply 5 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I don't use Moslo either. It does do weird things...

I stick with my L1 and L2 cache tricks. I can't remember what Turbo does, but I believe it slows it down to a very low level using cache and other tricks.

I found that 386 and 486 machines a lot of work and they can be quite temperamental. My SS7 Time-Machine "just works" and I only run into a few glitches here and there which I usually find a rational solution for (e.g. the issue with Privateer and more than 16GB of RAM).

But I also find SS7 boards getting rarer each day.

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 18, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i never had that 16gb ram problem on a ss7.

they do get rare, they get scrapped.
seems like we are the last ones in the world to still like older machines, and be able to provide a home to them.
its not like we still own only one or two pc computers anymore.

time is catching us an too much hardware to play around with.

Reply 7 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

i never had that 16gb ram problem on a ss7.

More info: Dos games and 16mb of ram

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

also got a photo of another unknown mobo:

th_Resizeof20130526_143700_zpsed4b4097.jpg

REV:C1 is all it is written... unfortunately CN5 seems to be a ps2 mouseport that has no pins soldered... I wonder what will happen if someone adds them

Reply 9 of 18, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a Lucky Star board. I have a coulpe of them. A rev D and a rev F.

It could be they planned a PS/2 connector, but in that revision i don't see a capable controller of the kind.

Reply 10 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ is there a place that describes the jumpers carlostex?

AFAIK ps2 mouse stuff is inside the chipset, that SIS one does support it but there is always the possibility that some needed IC is not installed...

Reply 12 of 18, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

back to topic:

the manufacturer is Spring Circle, the logo with Spring reveals that

Wims BIOS page says latest BIOS dates back to the very end of 1996 (12.31)

http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Spring% … ownload.htm#SIS

I was also considering buying that board but to me it looks like an external battery connector because SOME of these boards came with the barrel and the choice was made in the factory in the last moment so the connector was left there. Of course, I might be wrong, then you can hit the jackpot 😀

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 13 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

AFAIK ps2 mouse stuff is inside the chipset, that SIS one does support it but there is always the possibility that some needed IC is not installed...

PS/2 mouse implementation is on the chipset for UMC 8881/888F boards and on the keyboard controller for SiS 496/497 boards.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 14 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Jolaes76:
I can't see anything about this mobo on the link you provided? Is it the same as the P2C mobo?

@feipoa:
that detail I did not knew, thanks 😀

Reply 15 of 18, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P2CI is just a variant with the same BIOS.
(or P2C1, it might be a typo on the board as I found on a very old Russian link ages ago)

The link I gave contains an older BIOS, but at Wims BIOS I found reference to a later one (I could not download that one, though)

http://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates/springcircle.jsp

12/08/95-SiS-496-497/A/B-2A4IBS9BC-00 Spring Circle P2C

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 17 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

couldn't find any more info on these two so I won't be taking them... instead I will use another HOT-591P and make a p1 build... not really that relevant to a 486 but I just can't deal with lost settings and qwirks atm