VOGONS

First post, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm a long-time lurker on this site. The idea that there are other folks out there that get sexual pleasure (OK maybe not to that extent) from old PCs and old games makes me quite happy.

Unfortunately my first post on here is a quest for help for a problem that's perplexing me. Driving me crazy is more like it. Also it's not that old. But I figure you all are a good one to throw it at -

I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 (I believe this also goes by the name Latitude C606 - and it's rebadged). I bought this system as a shell (no hard drive, minimal RAM, no AC adapter). But it was said to be working. And it is - to a point.

So I added a hard drive and installed the Intel INF drivers, Intel ATA driver, NVIDIA driver, and Windows XP SP3 (& all post-SP3 hotfixes). All went well until the system randomly locked up. A hard lock up. No BSOD, no event log, no memory dump. This has happened several times. Sometimes days go by and there's no real pattern.

So I first verify temps. They're all running fine, nothing that hot. Indeed the system is rather cool to touch and the fan spins on only occasionally.

I downloaded HDSentinel and tested the hard drive. It's a brand new drive and as expected it tested OK, no errors, SMART OK, surface scan fine, etc.

I ran Prime95 both in "blended" and "large FTT" modes overnight and got no errors.

To "torture-test" the GeForce2, I ran 3DMark2000 in a loop overnight. Again, no errors.

I ran HCI Memtest to 1,000% coverage and also received no errors.

OK, this is starting to annoy me. And then I notice something perplexing - the system is not running at the rated clockspeed. It has a 1.2GHz Tualatin P3-M but it's stuck at 900MHz. "Aha" I think...maybe power management is screwing it up?

But after fiddling with the BIOS I realize, no the system is throttling normally. x9 is the normal multiplier and that's what it runs at under load (x6 not under load). But the system is only running at 100MHz FSB. It should be 133. If it was running at 133 it'd be roughly the rated 1.2GHz.

So is the RAM messed up? I tried memtest86 from boot CD and it failed. That is it just froze at the blue loading screen. Running it in diagnostics mode found that it fails at "get_spd_0". OK, lets try new RAM. So I put a brand new Kingston 512MB PC133 SODIMM in it.

Results...
-Still stuck at 100MHz FSB
-Memtest86 won't run, but HCI MemTest in Windows runs OK with no errors.
-RAMMON fails with "couldn't get SPD information"
-CPU-Z reports only SPD information for DIMM2 but not DIMM1 (when there are two DIMMS). If I only put the DIMM in DIMM1, I get no SPD information in CPU-Z, but the memory shows up and Windows "works".

Tried (yet) another (brand new) Kingston module (256MB PC133) same results.

What am I doing wrong? What is wrong? This is driving me nuts.

Specs -
Dell Inspiron 4100 BIOS Update A13 (latest, circa 5/2003)
Intel 830MP / ICH3-M Chipset
Intel Pentium 3-M 1.2 Tualatin-512 (running at 900/100FSB for some ungodly reason)
Tried with three different RAM modules (two Kingston PC133 SODIMMs - 512 & 256, & 1 Samsung 256MB PC133 SODIMM)
40GB Toshiba HDD
GeForce2Go 32MB DDR AGP
Cisco AiroNet 802.11g WiFi (CardBus)
Windows XP Pro SP3 w/ post-SP3 hotfixes
Intel 800-series INF, Intel Application Accelerator 2.2.2, & NVIDIA 93.71 WHQL drivers

Many thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 10, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

you tried setting the bios to default ?

Hi Davros,

Unfortunately there is no "default" setting. It's a pretty locked down interface. (Here's a screenshot from the main page of the very-similar Inspiron 4000.)

The only user-configurable CPU settings are under power management (a "power management" section which seems to be for pre-ACPI OS's and is disabled and Enable/Disable Intel SpeedStep - of which I've tried both options).

I suppose I could disassemble it and yank out the CMOS battery.

Reply 3 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bad caps or faulty northbridge? Even caps which aren't bulging could be faulty in a system of this era.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 10, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's sort of what I was afraid of, feipoa.

Is there anyway to "test" capacitors that don't show obvious signs of having expired?

I confess I have never come across an obviously FUBAR'd capacitor in my time with computers - including ancient ones (outside of PSUs that is). From what I've deduced online, it seems I've either been insanely lucky or I've had & seen bad ones that just didn't produce symptoms.

Reply 6 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To test bad caps which look OK, you need to remove them from the motherboard. Usually start with a capacitance meter, if the capacitance of the capacitor is out of its rated tolerance (usually +-20%), the cap is bad. If the capacitance is within its tolerance, you need to use some kind of ESR measurement, usually done with a pulse waveform in a voltage divider style circuit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESR_meter

Alternately you can aimlessly replace all the caps on the board with new pieces. With the time and effort it takes to remove each cap for testing, it is often just as well to replace them all.

I am also working on a similar problem right now. I was at a stage where I would get memory errors in MemTest at the end of Test #5, and only Test #5. I tinkered around in the BIOS, with different DIMMs, graphic cards, etc, but couldn't get the errors cleared up. I eventually replaced some caps on the board with some old ones I had in a bin. Now it takes 8 hours of loop testing in MemTest to get 2 errors on Test #5. That's about 28 passes before an error comes up. If I have the memory set for CL2 instead of CL3, I get the error in 2 passes. I am using CL2 memory. I'll probably set the board aside and order a new set of low ESR caps whenever I put in a new order.

I think a lot of P3-era boards had bad caps, although your issues may still not be capacitor related.

Reply 7 of 10, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I obtained an identical motherboard and swapped CPU, RAM, HD, etc. And the problem disappeared. So it's definitely something on the board and not some weird configuration problem. (this may be obvious but I felt the need to reassure myself). So it's definitely a capacitor or northbridge problem as noted above.

I have never replaced capacitors before, indeed my soldering knowledge is well...nill. I've since bought some solder and a soldering gun and suppose I will now embark upon the new realm of capacitor swapping.

Am I right to believe that non-electrolytic (tantalum?) capacitors have a (much) longer lifespan than the aluminum electrolytics? Can these be swapped out in place of the electrolytics so this doesn't happen in the future (or at least not for awhile)? (My apologies if this is a silly question!)

Reply 8 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not think you'll find through-hole tantalum or cermaic capacitors with a high enough capacitance at a reasonable price. From my experience, the higher capacitance caps usually go bad, like in the 200-2000 uF range. I've had tantalum caps catch fire, while electrolytic caps usually bulge and fizz, however I have had electrolytic caps catch fire too.

Reply 9 of 10, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
EverythingOldIsNewAgain wrote:

The idea that there are other folks out there that get sexual pleasure (OK maybe not to that extent) from old PCs and old games makes me quite happy.

Sexual pleasure? 😀
The only one i know ever was luckybob that got a stiffy from someones S3 4mb vlb card (what was actually even a more stiffy 8mb vlb card) 😉

Could be caps. I have seval 486 boards and even those caps were in perfect shape. But it could be so indeed.
I suppose there might not be an original bios fitted or flashed.
Or maybe the boards was zapped with esd sometime, hard to fix that.

About that 100fsb issue, there are none cut traces or damaged on the front or the back of that mobo?

Edit : its a laptop right?, ok sorry dont mentíon it.

Reply 10 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EverythingOldIsNewAgain wrote:

The idea that there are other folks out there that get sexual pleasure (OK maybe not to that extent) from old PCs and old games makes me quite happy.

That only happens for me if I get something at a stupidly low price or if I win a sniper war at the end of an auction to get something. Paying full price for something has to be done once in a while but you don't get the same thrill from it like getting a bargain or beating out a bunch of other people in the last few seconds.