MS-DOS PCI SATA Controller - Weird issue

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 81, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Audio file attached!

Now how did you enable the ACPI feature?

Because when open the F4 BIOS file from Gigabyte, it doesn't show up in the list to be enabled. Is there more that needs to be done?

All good, found the option.

I flashed it with AWDFLASH that comes with the F4 BIOS from Gigabyte. There is the BIOS file, AWDFLAsH and AUTOEXEC.BAT

PS: You mention you have a BIOS flasher. So rather than hotflashing it in another mainboard, I might get one of these seeing I might be doing this another time.

Anything cheap from eBay I could purchase?

EDIT: Flash went fine. Backed up the existing BIOS first, then the flashed the beta BIOS. I flashed this Board before (the current F4 BIOS), so nothing different there.

Maybe there is a checksum or something else one needs to do before saving the BIOS?

Attachments

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to know first what type of EEPROM you have on your motherboard. So you might need to remove the sticker from it. I believe by that time they were already using EEPROMS instead of EPROMS.

I have this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genius-G540-USB-U … =item46141fed96

It's compaible with most EEPROMS, EPROMS, GAL's, etc....

Now that's a BEEP CODE you don't hear everyday. I'll investigate.

Reply 22 of 81, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea it had a very NEGATIVE sound to it 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK.

I can hear two types of beeps. The first type of beep is a high pitched one and i hear it as a 1 long and 2 short beeps.

This indicates a problem with the video adapter. Now, i know this is weird, but a BIOS checksum error should give a different beep code.

Another problem is that it is hard to find information for award BIOS beep codes, as it varies a little bit for different boards. This might be the case.

Reply 24 of 81, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is the chip!

OTldfiil.jpg

8oKm30Jl.jpg

2yelHlBl.jpg

I'll hotflash it with my modification using AWEDIT. But instead of enabling the option, it is still disabled, but the defaults are turned off instead of on.

My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's what i tried to tell you. I dodn't used that editor because it does not save the changes you do to the file. I used MODBIN instead.

I recommend you that for now, you just flash the chip with the original Gigabyte F4 BIOS. Get the board online again, then we might think what went wrong. Because eventually i will want to do this to the GA-5AX i got.

Reply 26 of 81, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm mine, saved. Just hit the save button.

I'm almost done with hit flashing 😀

Will get an Eprom burner anyway because I like to learn more about this topic!

My YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Hmm mine, saved. Just hit the save button.

Can you send me your edited file?

I hit the save button on mine too, but when i load it again ACPI is disabled again.

Reply 29 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adding something else i just remembered:

This BIOS has a 8192 bytes Boot Block. This small boot block is never ovewritten in the flashing proccess. It only supports ISA video cards and the floppy drive.

It will execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a bootable diskette. Put all the files needed in the floppy disk, AWDFLASH, the GA5AX.f4 and the autoexec.bat.

Use an ISA VGA on there, you said you saw the floppy drive lit, so the boot block it's trying to access the floppy drive. The higher pitch codes in fact indicate not that your video card has a problem, it instead means your boot block cannot use it. 😀

Reply 30 of 81, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

That's what i tried to tell you. I dodn't used that editor because it does not save the changes you do to the file. I used MODBIN instead.

Ah I see it now. Yes I have the same issue.

Hot flashed with the original 5AX.F4 BIOS and the machine is working again 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 31 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
carlostex wrote:

Ah I see it now. Yes I have the same issue.

Hot flashed with the original 5AX.F4 BIOS and the machine is working again 😀

Glad! 😀

We're back to square one. I don't give up that easily. 😎

Sorry for the scare...

Reply 32 of 81, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh I don't give up easily either 😀

I'm building a "blind flash" floppy that will just flash the standard 5AX.F4 BIOS and then I can test whatever files you want me to test.

I tried flashing it again and it has the same issue.

What we could try is rather than setting the Status to active (I noticed that the screen position clashes with another element), we could just set the two options:

BIOS Default and SETUP Default to Disabled?

Happy to try it again

My YouTube channel

Reply 33 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Oh I don't give up easily either :) […]
Show full quote

Oh I don't give up easily either 😀

I'm building a "blind flash" floppy that will just flash the standard 5AX.F4 BIOS and then I can test whatever files you want me to test.

I tried flashing it again and it has the same issue.

What we could try is rather than setting the Status to active (I noticed that the screen position clashes with another element), we could just set the two options:

BIOS Default and SETUP Default to Disabled?

Happy to try it again

Funny you say that cause that's exactly what i did:

EDIT: I have a feeling this won't work because maybe MODBIN is not doing something right. I'm gonna keep trying, but i'm gonna actually contact Jan to get all the help i can.

Last edited by carlostex on 2013-10-10, 18:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 34 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I noticed that from the beggining. That's why in the screen shot i posted you see there is no blank space until **PM events**

That's because i left ACPI at position 4 and moved everything else 1 digit above.

Reply 35 of 81, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh dear I think I made a huge mistake. Was mucking around with hot flashing and accidentally put the BIOS chip the wrong way into my AX59PRO. Could smell something and I think it's gone 😒 😵 😢

I could however get a blind bootdisk going! Not with AWDFLASH, but with UNIFLASH. It has speaker sounds that tell you the beginning of the flash and when it's finished. Very neat.

Tried your second BIOS mod file and it has the same issue.

At least with my blind boot floppy it's really easy to test 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 36 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ahhh that's bad mate. That's how you can easily kill EEPROMS.

There's other small details i can try. A slightly earlier modbin and moving ACPI feature to the right side of the screen. The IWill XAPlus does this. I doubt that this is causing the problem but we have to try it anyway.

Reply 37 of 81, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have that IWill board as well 😀

It has hard-enabled ACPI as well.

Out of the three boards I have only the AX59Pro has an ACPI setting. BUT it's lacking an L1 Cache setting, though there is a blank spot 😀

I believe one or two of the BIOSes are patched anyway in order to support AMD K6-3+ support. It's been a long time so the details are sketchy though...

My YouTube channel

Reply 38 of 81, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Allright if you are willing to test, i wanna eliminate some ideas i have ATM.

The next file is just an original 5AX.F4 BIOS where i only changed the BIOS message.

When posting the BIOS Message should show:

GA-5AX F4 BY TEX

I'm also using other MODBIN version.

EDIT: Notice i'm using .F4 file extension. It's better instead you changing extension of the BIOS file in autoexec.bat.

The objective here is to see if motherboard does POST.