VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

While I am waiting for 2 midi modules to arrive I want to be ready and have all needed cables for when they finally come 😊
The plan is to connect a CM-32L , a SC-55 mk1 and a MU-80 to my p1 build via an MPU-401AT card.
For now I have the CM-32L connected and working great 😁 but what about the rest? I have 2 questions on the matter:

a. Will a connection like in the following diagram work? (using the module's THROUGH sockets)

1r407t.jpg

Module A gets connected to pc and it's through port goes to module B's IN.
The B's THROUGH port gets connected to C's IN. I am almost certain that it will work, but it doesn't hurt to ask 😊

b. Do the modules need to be powered for their THROUGH port to work?
If for example I have module A powered OFF and module B powered ON , will the pc signal reach module B ?

thanks in advance for any info/help! 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 18, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That configuration will work, but yes, the passthrough module(s) will need to be powered-on. In addition, all of the modules are going to want to respond to the MIDI data, so you'll likely end up either muting MIDI parts/channels, or reducing the analog volume on the passthrough units.

Be aware that each link in a MIDI chain introduces compounding signal delay and distortion. When more than two modules are involved, as in your case, I'd recommend using a MIDI thru box or output selector, of which Roland's MPU-105 remains one of the most elegant, in my opinion...

Reply 2 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah, thanks for the info! I'll see if I can get a midi switch then (or the 105)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 18, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about hooking either the SC-55 or the MU-80 to a sound card? UART is enough for those and GM games usually allow you to change the address anyway. You'd use THRU on the other two modules then and send the audio signal from the third one to the second one in that chain.

Reply 4 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nah, I actually want to get rid of every other mpu and use the 401at for everything.
I mean to disable the mpu on my ct2230 🤣

Reply 6 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All input/ideas are appreciated 😀 thanks!

I wonder if this through box is ok: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Midi-Solutions-Quad … =item3a7f2842c5

Reply 8 of 18, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Should be fine. Basic MIDI thru boxes routinely sell for less than that though.

Reply 9 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have three units hooked up (MT-32, CM-32L and Sound Canvas) and use a simple Audio switch box that then goes into an audio mixer (to add Sound Blaster, connect headphones and set the balance for recordings).

I used to use the MIDI Thru solution, worked great and I didn't really notice the delays and other issues. Then I got a MIDI splitter (I made a YT video), but after using it for a while discovered that it produces hanging notes. So I am back to the MIDI thru solution for the time being until I find something else / better.

EDIT: I have that EXACT adapter and can't recommend it because of the hanging notes issue. Midi Solutions Quadra Thru.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 18, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Then I got a MIDI splitter (I made a YT video), but after using it for a while discovered that it produces hanging notes.

Is there any correlation between the hanging notes and the number of connected devices? Despite the touted "MIDI-powered" design of the Quadra Thru, it's possible that the MPU-401AT is unable to supply enough power for all of the connected devices' opto-isolators. That, or your unit might be defective. In either case, you might have better luck with an externally-powered thru box.

Reply 11 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great info here, I'll stay away from that Quadra box...
Midi switches/through boxes seem to be somewhat obscure, can't say that I found something better than the Quadra on eBay...

edit: what about this Taiwanese thing, could it work too? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MidiBox-4X4-USB-MID … =item2eba41bf06

Reply 12 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:

Is there any correlation between the hanging notes and the number of connected devices? Despite the touted "MIDI-powered" design of the Quadra Thru, it's possible that the MPU-401AT is unable to supply enough power for all of the connected devices' opto-isolators. That, or your unit might be defective. In either case, you might have better luck with an externally-powered thru box.

I haven't investigated this issue to this extent. Will definitely do at some point!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to use this AT keyboard switcher to switch between two sets of modules and sometimes to connect two PCs to share a single module.

SB-402-PCL.jpg

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I've seen these switches too, somehow they make me believe that they're crappy 🤣

Reply 17 of 18, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mikity wrote:

Sorry to necro this thread! But... how would I get the audio back out? Would I need to run audio cables from all three devices to a mixer of some sort?
Thanks

That is the best way, yes. I ended up buying one of these and I've been happy with the results:

https://www.amazon.com/ammoon-AM-228-Ultra-co … &ref=mp_s_a_1_7

Very inexpensive but gets the job done. The more popular one would be the Rolls mini mixer but it usually costs another $20 or more, and I believe it is completely passive, meaning it isn't powered so the signal volume levels will be lower after passing through the mixer, and this means having to turn your speakers or amplifier up (more hiss). The Ammoon mixer is powered.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 18 of 18, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:
That is the best way, yes. I ended up buying one of these and I've been happy with the results: […]
Show full quote
Mikity wrote:

Sorry to necro this thread! But... how would I get the audio back out? Would I need to run audio cables from all three devices to a mixer of some sort?
Thanks

That is the best way, yes. I ended up buying one of these and I've been happy with the results:

https://www.amazon.com/ammoon-AM-228-Ultra-co … &ref=mp_s_a_1_7

Very inexpensive but gets the job done.

Thank you Ozzunero! I have distant memories of having a setup like that once, with lots of cables everywhere 😊