What is good monitor for retro PC?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:

I've stocked up on NIB crt's because they aint making any more, and I don't want to find myself forced to use a flat screen for DOS in 20 years time. That makes me kindof a crank I suppose, but it's better than stockpiling ammunition!

I'm constantly hearing that it's important to use vintage electronics once in a while and never lock them away for several years. In regards to capacitors especially.

Reply 22 of 25, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't use CRTs anymore. My eyes have gotten so bad that with my strong prescription, I end up seeing a stark moire effect between the pixels and it makes my eyes hurt. If I take my glasses off then my eyes don't hurt. But then I can't see. 🤣

Monitor refresh rate has an effect as well. I once "encountered" a monitor at 40Hz.. O.. M.. G.. it felt like someone was driving knives into my eyeballs. That 40Hz monitor was in a room with florescent lighting which made it even worse.

Reply 23 of 25, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kahenraz, you just described EVERY CRT in my highschool. For some reason they decided that 6th grade through 9th that I had to take typing class every year. My eyes are terrible as well, but i contribute the constant headaches and pain from flickering florescent tubes mixed with crap CRT's to the reason why I am almost legally blind. Kids have it easy these days with their 17 inch lcd monitors 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 24 of 25, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember at an old job I needed to go around to a few people's PCs in the office. I couldn't believe the head IT guy had left everybody's CRT refresh set on 60Hz. Damn, did he hate those people or something? I normally wouldn't mess with people's settings, but out of mercy I had to change that. I wonder if anybody noticed.

My CRT at that job was hilarious. It was a Viewsonic "flat" screen - meaning it was a curved screen with an oddly shaped piece of thick glass on the front so that the frontal surface could be called "flat".

At home, I loved my Sony Trinitron.. for a year. When new, it was the most beautiful monitor I'd ever seen. It could handle 1600x1200 at 85Hz - a bit fuzzy at that res but beautiful for games (better than my current monitor, still). The desktop was nice at 1280x1024. Then it just completely fell apart. It still sickens me how much money I paid for that thing, only to have the color contrast go completely to hell after 1 year, and the fact that I tossed it.
I found out much too late that it might have been fixable. I really wish I had it back today.

I'd like to have a CRT for a retro PC, but what's most important to me is keeping a CRT television for console games. I didn't spend all my childhood playing these games on real TVs to be mocked in adulthood by a friggin' time delay. Screw that, I won't put up with it.

Reply 25 of 25, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
laxdragon wrote:

I guess I've never been one to dedicate the desktop real estate to a retro monitor.

This is what I always struggle with. I have had many CRTs but I always give them away again after a while because they take up too much space. 😈 LCDs/TFTs/LEDs are also very light and easily stored in a closet when I need to clear my tables (when we have guests staying in the converted basement apartment). 🤣