l33t++

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyrix-Cx486DLC-40GP-C … =item3cd1eefb28

A 386 motherboard with VL-bus slots????

Reply 2 of 7, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

look at the sticker on the ami bios chip closely, it clearly says "486dx isa bios", and it uses an opti 82c495sx chipset.
so i would say its more of a 486 board modified with a 386 socket to use the cyrix 486dlc processor, which also makes it 386 compatible.

Reply 3 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

no, not really. I own a similar board, the VLB slots only work with the 486 upgrade chip. use a regular 386 and the vlb slots dont work.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a board very simliar to this one. Same chipset with 2 VLB slots. The VLB slots worked with a 386 as far as I can recall. However, there was basically no performance advantage over a regular ISA slot with the 386. With the 486DLC, there was a slight advantage. With IBM 486DLC2 the VLB slots functioned as they would on a normal 486 system. On my particular board I didn't seem to have compatibility problems with any of the VLB cards I tried. I ended up going with a Mach64.

Now the IBM 486SLC2 board with VLB slots I had...that was a different story. As the CPU only had a 24 bit address bus and 16 bit memory path, there were only a handful of cards that worked with it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium