VOGONS

First post, by tcaud

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a bunch of them, including some that are Intel but without the Pentium logo (probably 486s). Problem is I'm not sure if they work or not... my stepdad bought them for scrapping (the assemblies are intact) and I don't have AC adapters suitable for the job. Might be worth buying them if there was enough interest.

Reply 1 of 19, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, is there? It only depends on you. Do they look interesting to you? If so, go for it.

P.S. You will have trouble buying and selling them for higher price, if that's what you mean under "interest".

Reply 2 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think tcaud is asking if anyone else here is interested in buying them.

First of all, welcome, but do not take these comments as harsh but it's the reality :

1. Please read this thread first : VOGONS is no marketplace!.

2. Secondly, people will have hesitations buying from the person who just made the first post here.

Otherwise, your post seems genuine and you might be interested in discussing old hardwares here, but not about selling them here.

Interested people might contact you via PM - Private Message. (I'm interested myself, but hesitated since this is your first post, and your first post is about trying to sell stuff, which is not encouraged in this forum.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 19, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because of lack of sound card options, I never considered vintage notebooks.

With Windows 98 notebooks you have the issue of no decent graphics cards like 3DFX Voodoo and things like that.

Also the old notebooks have very bad screens, lots of ghosting and aspect ratio settings are limited as well.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 19, by tcaud

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My stepdad bought them on auction, was going to scrap them for parts. The family is out money and we'd like to recover some of it. The alternative is taking them to the recycling bin, where they will likely be destroyed.

I've not enough interest in the old games myself to consider using them (particular when I have DOSBox), and I doubt I could give them to anyone local who would not recycle them.

Any ideas as to who would buy them?

Reply 6 of 19, by Gabucino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

With Windows 98 notebooks you have the issue of no decent graphics cards like 3DFX Voodoo and things like that.

Also the old notebooks have very bad screens, lots of ghosting and aspect ratio settings are limited as well.

Hehh. I have a Halikan 386 laptop which has two ISA ports. It worked great with a Gravis ACE.

Also, old 386/486 era laptops with monochrome LCD are actually much-much better than their modern counterparts, especially outdoors. Try it.

Reply 7 of 19, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably collectors and enthusiasts, I think people would be more interested of we knew the model numbers like make and etc. because your post is sorta generic, are they HP, Dell, Gateway, Compaq, no name?

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 8 of 19, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would be interested, but only if i knew what cpu and ram etc was inside.
If you could figure out?, also might they get scrapped after all, check what cpus are inside, and you can sell these.... to me....
😀

Reply 9 of 19, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Post the models and we will go from there, who know there might be someone here that wants one or more of them. There are some high spec laptops from that era but they are very rare and there is always a demand for certain parts.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10 of 19, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I will have to disagree with your first comment, plenty of sound cards are available for old laptops, check my sig 😀

The second is more valid, although some models come with ISA and PCI slots, usually in the optional docks.
And finally, laptops usually have a vga out connector, so you can use them without worrying about passive-matrix ghosting.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 13 of 19, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

List them on vintage-computer.com/vcforum. Active community of people who collect a huge range of old gear including old laptops.

Personally I hate laptops for gaming in so many ways - limited graphics, awful screens, limited sound cards, flimsy keyboards, crappy batteries, awful user interface hardware like nipples that keep moving your cursor at random, mouse buttons that break. I used a butterfly IBM for a while, managed to convince myself it was cool, but it's better now it's gone.

Not disputing there are interesting for some of course.

Reply 16 of 19, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a large collection of Thinkpads, Tandys, Gateway, Toshiba, NEC laptops.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 17 of 19, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

mine has 900 mhz P3 with Nvidia Geforce 2 go 16mb and an MPU-401 compilable sound card. nothing as fancy as the ones in your youtube videos but, it works.

I have 2 Toughbooks and they suck ass, cruddy intel graphics. at least they can modded for 512mb and 768mb ram support.

Reply 18 of 19, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have always found these old laptops to be rather interesting. Evidently this is a minority opinion in the retro PC world.

My particular affinity is for the rather uncommon (color 386 laptops, the "higher-end" late-gen 486DX4's, etc). I've been searching awhile for the 486 edition of the Panasonic V41. It's a 100MHz DX4 with an 800x600 Active Matrix screen, internal CD-ROM, sound card, and integrated MPEG1 decoder.

Reply 19 of 19, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

oh well fuck those thing suck ass for gaming, because the screens lag so bad. you can see like 5 different frames at once, it's like blur vision. Now if that panasonic has some sort of special screen then yeah it does sound kind of cool. i have an old 486 laptop with am AMD cpu and the screen it just horrid.