VOGONS

First post, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently got my hands on an old Compaq Presario 4550. I don't plan to do much with it, but it's a neat little rig. I was testing the RAM in it a few hours ago and noticed that it had much more memory bandwidth than my 440FX based P2 box.

Here are the specs:
K6 at 233MHz
48MB PC66 SDRAM (16MB onboard+32MB DIMM)
proprietary Compaq board with 430VX chipset
512KB L2 on COAST

Memtest reported:
L1 cache: 1629MB/s
L2 cache: Unknown
Memory: 131MB/s

My Pentium II configuration:
PII Klamath at 300MHz
192MB of 60ns EDO (6x32MB SIMMs)
proprietary Deskpro board with 440FX chipset

Memtest reported:
L1 cache: 2937MB/s
L2 cache: 430MB/s
Memory: 75MB/s

I know EDO is slower than SDRAM, but that's quite a difference. And I would've thought that a PPro/P2 class chipset would have a more robust memory controller than a socket 7 chipset. 440FX owners, could you please tell me what kind of memory bandwidth you're getting in memtest?

This P2 always seemed to perform more like a fast P1, and clearly the alarmingly slow memory is to blame. Would upgrading to 50ns EDO give it a noticeable boost?

Reply 1 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those scores for that 430VX are pretty good but that 440FX might be overheating as they typically slow down considerably without any cooling. Just slap something on it and rerun the bench.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 7, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hello guys, i would also like to know:
430fx, vx, hx and tx performance comparision when all using edo ram,
tx vs mvp3 comparision when both using pc66 sdram.

Reply 3 of 7, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Memtest generates those numbers around 15s after the computer starts--long before the chipset can heat up. Thanks for the knowledge, though. Had no idea the FX could get so hot.

This is completely off topic, but I noticed something pretty bizarre about this old Presario. Under Win2K, hard drive activity causes the keyboard indicators and optical mouse LED to flicker. This does not happen at all in Win95 or outside of Windows. The aging 75w PSU is probably causing it, though it's strange that this only happens when Win2K accesses the disk.

Reply 5 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check your memory timings in the BIOS

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 7, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Check your memory timings in the BIOS

This board was pulled from a Compaq Deskpro, so there are no memory timings in the BIOS

JaNoZ wrote:

What program do you use?
I can try my 440FX PPRO

I was using memtest86. Was mainly just testing the RAM for errors in the Presario, but I found the memory bandwidth numbers interesting.