VOGONS

First post, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have noticed some of the generic dos cd programs like asus_cd dont work for the creative cd/dvd drives. Is that right or do I have some faulty drives?

Can anyone recommend some dos drivers for the following units and the best place to get them?

1zlq0ef.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do remember something from my childhood.

Creative used Panasonic / Matsushita so look for these drivers. AFAIK you need those drivers, not generic ones. This was before all the drives went IDE.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, some drives DO require their proprietary drivers. There can be some cross-matchable drivers.

I think I have some DOS drivers for certain CD drives. Maybe I'll upload them soon to Vogonsdrivers.

DVD drives are usually more flexible and most generic drivers can usually be used to load them.

This is one very useful site for getting DOS drivers : http://www.nodevice.com/driver/category/CD_Rom.html

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 9, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always used VIDE-CDD.SYS for my cdrom drives, can you try if it works?

Attachments

• Filename
    VIDE-CDD.zip
    File size
    6.13 KiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 9, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use asus_cd for almost all generic dvd drives in dos. But that doesnt work with creative cdrom and dvd drives.

Nor does Vide-cdd.sys

I tried a mitsumi driver but that fails too.

Not sure whats going on.......Difficult to track down old creative dos drivers.

I have a Creative Hex speed CD-620E and about 5 other random creative drives that dont like normal atapi/ide generic drivers.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 5 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember that these Creative drivers could be found on various CDs from computer magazines. PC Player was one of them, a German magazine.

Also I did have a Panasonic drive and I had to HEX edit the driver to make it work 😀

Just changing it from Creative to Panasonic.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 9, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rgart wrote:
I have noticed some of the generic dos cd programs like asus_cd dont work for the creative cd/dvd drives. Is that right or do I […]
Show full quote

I have noticed some of the generic dos cd programs like asus_cd dont work for the creative cd/dvd drives. Is that right or do I have some faulty drives?

Can anyone recommend some dos drivers for the following units and the best place to get them?

1zlq0ef.jpg

I am so jealous of your creative drives and the floppy drive. I really love how they look. Wondering, where can I get this kind of floppy drive with an audio jack?

Reply 7 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That bottom one looks like a caddy load CD drive. You need to know if either it or the hex speed drive uses one of the proprietary interface standards (likely Panasonic). I'm not sure if you can load drivers for more than one Panasonic optical drive port, so if they're both proprietary you may have to choose which one to keep in the system.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 9, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Old thread. OP has either figured this out, or torched the entire thing. But, just in case anyone finds this thread in the future and needs to know:

The PC-DVD and Hex Speed drives are standard IDE. Mine work with all the IDE CD-ROM drivers I've used so far, typically SBIDE.SYS or OAKCDROM.SYS. The 48X is of course new enough that it'll be standard IDE as well, but I don't have one.

I don't know what the bottom drive is, but it has similar design language with a couple Sony drives that I have, so it might be a re-branded Sony SCSI caddy-loading drive. In that case, ASPICD.SYS or whatever your SCSI card came with.

Reply 9 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SirNickity wrote:

Old thread. OP has either figured this out, or torched the entire thing.

Damn, another zombie thread looking for a meal.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder