VOGONS

Reply 80 of 202, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I commit, then I go ALL in 😉

But seriously... I'm still on the hunt for 486slc, that I used to have back then. It was 33MHz and from my memory, it's speed was between a 386DX-40 and 486DLC-40.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 81 of 202, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had too many retro PC's. IRL activities and pressures mean that I don't have a lot of time to play with them any more.
I sold my 286 and Pentium 150 systems ebay about a year or so ago. I had a non-working 5150 that I sold to SquallStrife.
I currently have a complete 386DX40 and a Win98 box with a Tualatin Celeron 1400 on a BX motherboard. They're packed away at the moment, haven't turned them on for a while.

I still have a heap of stuff in storage. I probably have enough loose parts to build 2 or 3 complete 486's. One day I'll go through and sort out what I want to keep, sell the rest.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 82 of 202, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 6, but 2 are setups just for testing hardware so I don't have to break open my 2 pristine (main) retro rigs. Another is a PackardBell 486 I need to chunk, I don't think it's been turned on in 5 years. 😒

Reply 83 of 202, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Way way too many. I think there are close to 30 systems in here plus tons of spare parts.

I'm currently in the process of reducing the amount of hardware stockpiled here, because it's really getting out of hand.

::42::

Reply 84 of 202, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same for me, I have probably from 30-40 systems in various level of completeness. + Crates of stuff.
My place is starting to look like Tetrium's attic.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 85 of 202, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No sooner had I stated my indifference to pre-pentium retro I turn around and add a 486 rig to the menagerie. $30 for a near pristine AST Advantage Adventure 466 [486dx2/66] was hard to pass up...

It came loaded with W95 1st release which is cool since I never used the original W95. Case has a few scratches on top where the monitor once stood but otherwise is clean as a whistle and very lightly used based on the slim amount of files/apps installed.

The motherboard is an Elite Group UP8810, all isa off the riser card. Audio is an ESS1868 embedded on the riser card - so far no issues, and video an on-board Cirrus Logic chip - not sure how much memory yet. None of the motherboard cache sockets are populated so I'm not sure if it has any L2 at all. The Dallas RTC/battery seems fine for now.

I'm adding a 3.3gb drive to augment the diminutive 540mb it came with, and fiddling around with the boot files since at stock settings it clears only 545k conventional memory. Rem'ing out everything but the mouse I climb to 581 - still very low, so it looks like I need to fuss around with all this. Maybe isa audio and video cards with lighter drivers? It also seems to load a Dos Extender, something I'm not familiar with at all.

After the memory is sorted I think this box will be a good home to all the older dos and cpu-challenged games in the collection.

EDIT: Does anyone have documentation for this model? In particular the Elite Group UP-8810 v10 rel 3.3 motherboard? I've spent hours trying to track something down with no luck - lots of "close but no cigars". Jumper settings will be needed at some point if I elect to install audio/video cards.

Reply 86 of 202, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sold all my < Pentium stuff since DOSBox works so well. Here are my two P3 Win98 boxes.
Pair of Retro PC's

I was thinking of changing out one of those Voodoo's for something else other than a Matrox. What's a good all-around video card for both DOS/VESA games as well as Win98?

Reply 88 of 202, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hatta wrote:

A Geforce 2 based card is a great choice for that era.

Agreed. I've heard it said though that Geforce 2's are hit and miss with regard to 2D quality and I've experienced that myself. I use an Ultra, and while VGA and SVGA looks beautiful on this card, it can't handle anything higher than 800x600 in Windows without getting very blurry. 3D looks great though, and the SVGA it produces is so nice that I've chosen it over a GTS I have which handles high res 2D much better.

They're so cheap that you can just try a few and choose the best.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 89 of 202, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

I had a non-working 5150 that I sold to SquallStrife.

Which is appreciated, and still being enjoyed, thank you! 😀

I'm trying to chase down a Hercules graphics card for it at the moment, I don't want to put a CGA card in it, I have a Tandy 1000 for that.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 90 of 202, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:
Hatta wrote:

A Geforce 2 based card is a great choice for that era.

Agreed. I've heard it said though that Geforce 2's are hit and miss with regard to 2D quality and I've experienced that myself. I use an Ultra, and while VGA and SVGA looks beautiful on this card, it can't handle anything higher than 800x600 in Windows without getting very blurry. 3D looks great though, and the SVGA it produces is so nice that I've chosen it over a GTS I have which handles high res 2D much better.

They're so cheap that you can just try a few and choose the best.

Gf2 Ultra were a HELL of a VGA . I remember using this as wallpaper http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/gf2ultraoverclock/ultra-5.jpg
I never could get an Ultra...🙁

Reply 92 of 202, by [ROTT] IanPaulFreeley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

I have no games or programs requiring a 5150 so I have no idea what to do with it yet.

I would hang onto it. You never know when a wayward time traveler might need one.

🤣

Am I the only one who got this joke? I used to love reading those famous posts by John Titor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor).

And back on topic... I've got five vintage boxes in the house, and their specs can be seen in my signature below:

- AMD 386 DX/40, 8mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- 486 DX2/66, 16mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- 486 DX4/100, 16mb, Win98se
- Pentium 166, 32mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- Pentium Pro 200, 64mb, Win98
- Athlon 500 MHz, 192mb, Win98

Reply 93 of 202, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strictly speaking I have one complete retro PC - an Athlon64 @ ~2500 Mhz... though that's stretching retro to Jupiter and back.
More interesting may be my SuperSocket7 tech dump where a lovely K5 is nesting(overclocked from 100 to ~116 Mhz).

Reply 94 of 202, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To update: 4 but maybe 5 if W98 Screamer works out...
486dx-66/W95a/Dos
P233/W95osr2/S3/V1
P3-933/Win95osr2/Rendition/V2sli
P4-3.067/W98se/V5

and building a P4-3.6/W98se/PCIe/Sata/DDR2/7900GTX [we'll see if this works out or not]

Reply 95 of 202, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just one, in hindsight , I really should have kept all my previous PCs , the 486 my grandparents kept, the Pentium , the Athlon XP 1800 , but hindsight is 20/20 , when you are a teenager you sometimes just have to sell old hardware to get some new stuff, also the fact nobody foresaw the difficulty of running older games on modern hardware, or that these things would be collectible.

wouldn't mind getting a 486 machine though , lack of space keeps me from doing that.

Reply 96 of 202, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right now two. Unfinished for now. Waiting till Tuesday with final assembly. I'm gonna go over to my friend to go through a huge pile of old hardware. I'm hoping to find some gems there.

For now, for DOS games: Asus P3B-F motherboard, Pentium III 600 MHz, 256 RAM, I don't know what kind of GFX card to put into it yet. As for sound: SoundBlaster Awe64

For old Windows 98 games that won't run properly or at all on Win7: msi pt8 neo-v motherboard, Pentium 4 3 GHz, 1 GB RAM, same situation with GFX card, CMI8738 PCI-SX-based sound card (for now).

I have another pc with the CPU heatsink ripped off. Since the plastic clamps are broken I'd have to either find some clever solution to re-attach it or just glue it place but I don't see the point of building another retro pc since I already have two.

Reply 97 of 202, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yasashii wrote:
Right now two. Unfinished for now. Waiting till Tuesday with final assembly. I'm gonna go over to my friend to go through a huge […]
Show full quote

Right now two. Unfinished for now. Waiting till Tuesday with final assembly. I'm gonna go over to my friend to go through a huge pile of old hardware. I'm hoping to find some gems there.

For now, for DOS games: Asus P3B-F motherboard, Pentium III 600 MHz, 256 RAM, I don't know what kind of GFX card to put into it yet. As for sound: SoundBlaster Awe64

For old Windows 98 games that won't run properly or at all on Win7: msi pt8 neo-v motherboard, Pentium 4 3 GHz, 1 GB RAM, same situation with GFX card, CMI8738 PCI-SX-based sound card (for now).

I have another pc with the CPU heatsink ripped off. Since the plastic clamps are broken I'd have to either find some clever solution to re-attach it or just glue it place but I don't see the point of building another retro pc since I already have two.

I will recomend you an FX5600/5700/5900 for that Asus P3B-F m they go hand in hand with i440bx, got my self two MSI Fx5600 @90mhz agp

Reply 98 of 202, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
[ROTT] IanPaulFreeley wrote:
KT7AGuy wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

I have no games or programs requiring a 5150 so I have no idea what to do with it yet.

I would hang onto it. You never know when a wayward time traveler might need one.

🤣

Am I the only one who got this joke? I used to love reading those famous posts by John Titor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor).

And back on topic... I've got five vintage boxes in the house, and their specs can be seen in my signature below:

Thanks! In all fairness, it is an obscure reference and pretty lame joke. Still, it's good to see somebody finally got the joke! 😀

I saw your 486DX4/100 in your sig. I used to have one of those too and I regret giving it away. At the time I had mine (around 1996) it was one of the fastest machines around. It was rather expensive to put together too. Quite a few of my friends were jealous. Mine only had 12mb of RAM though. I remember playing alot of Duke 3D on that PC. Good times...

Of course, the first Pentiums were coming out at around the same time I was rocking my 486 and it was quickly outclassed.

Reply 99 of 202, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:

Of course, the first Pentiums were coming out at around the same time I was rocking my 486 and it was quickly outclassed.

That was about the time I started to lose interest in PC gaming, I just didn't have the cash to keep up with the hardware required. My poor old DX2 66 just ground to a halt at the sight of Nascar, Quake, etc.

I didn't get back into it until '02 or so, when I had a decent job, or more to the point, a credit card 😈

Life? Don't talk to me about life.