VOGONS

First post, by Gigagator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I recently got hold of a beautiful old Fujitsu ICL Indiana desktop from 1995. Found it on ebay, just couldn't let it go.

WP_000476.jpg

Ignore the things that look like scratches - that's my dodgy camera.
It's immaculate, except for the fact that it doesn't recognize the CD ROM drive.

I've tried every combination of jumpers, different CD drives, IDE cables, the two IDE channels but the motherboard won't recognize CD, not even in BIOS.

I'm hoping it's not an issue with the IDE controller since the HDD works and boots up fine.

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions that may help me. The motherboard is an old Acer V12LC and the CD drive a Mitsumi FX400.

Much appreciated.

Last edited by Gigagator on 2013-06-13, 20:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please do not post 2048×1536 images inline with your posts! A link will suffice quite nicely in this case.

Is the CD-ROM drive powering on at all? If it is at all functional, the Eject button (and the power LED) should still work regardless of whether the system detects it.

Reply 3 of 4, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Please do not post 2048×1536 images inline with your posts!

Agreed. Can't moderators start hammering down on this? Happens every week I feel.

On to the topic,
Boards like this (early socket 5/7) does not recognize the CD-ROM in BIOS, you need to activate it with drivers in autoexec.bat / config.sys.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 4, by Gigagator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Resized image in OP in line with your suggestions. Apologies.

Anyway, I had been fiddling around all night with this and finally found the solution and frankly, it was easy.

According to a manual I happened upon, it turns out setting the fixed disks to 'Auto' in BIOS does not work for CD drives; you must manually set the location of your optical drive to 'CD' for it to function. There was also the further suggestion of 'Always install your CD-ROM drive as the last drive and connect it to IDE connector 2.'

Unfortunately, the drive itself is clearly old and worn (as the August 1995 manufacture date would suggest) and has trouble reading discs. I've swapped it out for a fully working one for now and will refurbish the original.