VOGONS

First post, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey

I recently found a Compaq Proliant 850R webserver gathering dust.

CPU: Dual Pentium Pro 200mhz
Memory :512 MB
Operating System: Windows NT Server 4.0
Optical Drive CD-ROM - SCSI
Hard Disk - SCSI
Graphics Processor CL-GD54M30 (cirrus logic on board)
Cache Type L2 cache - Write-Back

I cant imagine it has a practical use for gaming and I probably need to use NT Server or Windows 2000 to get both CPU's recognized and used.

Any recommendations on upgrades/gaming uses? I guess what i am asking is what possible uses does it have?

Reply 2 of 20, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would be a good heater 😀

There aren't many games that use SMP that work on such an old machine.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 3 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

+1 for noisy space heater.

aftermarket is the only way to go with Pentium Pro. Personally, I love the platform. Are your chips 512kb or 256k cache?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rgart wrote:

256k cache on each cpu

scrap it for gold. Its common for each pentium pro chip to grab $50 US on ebay.

512k chips are relatively uncommon and worth keeping and the 1mb ones have no gold but still fetch a commanding price.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 20, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rgart wrote:
mwdmeyer wrote:

It would be a good heater 😀

There aren't many games that use SMP that work on such an old machine.

aren't many....which ones do?

Quake 3

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 10 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake 3 has experimental SMP support yup but it's of little benefit. It's also disabled by default. PPro isn't going to run Q3 well regardless ...

id didn't have useful SMP in an engine until Quake 4's upgraded idTech 4. I think it's most help for the consoles because of their weak CPUs. I didn't really see a benefit on my Athlon64 X2. There is also some kind of sync issue with it that causes occasional stutters.

Reply 12 of 20, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With an SMP system you can do things like run two games at once smoothly. Of limited practical significance I guess unless you want to do a lot of alt-tabbing.

Also by running a game on a specific CPU (using 'set affinity' or whatever) could in theory speed it up a bit if background tasks run on the other CPU.

Reply 15 of 20, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

168 pin ram. The platform really interests me. Maybe linux or win98. Its such a loud system with all the fans going and the scsi. I would have to mod a case and replace the air flow system so it doesnt wake the neighbours 😀

Reply 16 of 20, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Quake 3 has experimental SMP support yup but it's of little benefit. It's also disabled by default. PPro isn't going to run Q3 well regardless ...

id didn't have useful SMP in an engine until Quake 4's upgraded idTech 4. I think it's most help for the consoles because of their weak CPUs. I didn't really see a benefit on my Athlon64 X2. There is also some kind of sync issue with it that causes occasional stutters.

I has to be of partial help only because what SMP on quake 3 does is just allocating 1 cpu to the video part and the other to the sound core

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 18 of 20, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any recommendations on upgrades/gaming uses? I guess what i am asking is what possible uses does it have?

Dedicated server for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Duke3D/Warcraft2/C&C and the like, BBS server for running stuff like LORD and BRE.

Reply 19 of 20, by TS_486DX2-X1C

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote:

Doesn't Falcon 4.0 support dual CPU's?

Stunned speachless....not only flabbergasted that people still remember the dual Pentium Pro 200's, BUT Falcon 4.0 demanded I respond to this. First encountered Falcon 2 on a Compac 385-25. Became a squadron leader when F3 added the multi-element battlespace, with real Ops Orders in support of missions all within a full scale tactical level battlefield environment. That your successful ground attack on an enemy re-supply column that stopped a 155 battery from successful defence fire missions......or when your SEAD flight failed, and bomber flights were all taken out by enemy SAMs....allowing continued use of a re-supply FOB airfield. I was a squadron leader, and then an instructor pilot. I was Invited to join the beta team for Falcon 4.0 - and I kid you not, it took over 5 weeks to merely land the F16 correctly without breaking the gear, or destroying the afterburner ctrl cones cos my AOA was too steep.

It's been over 12 years since my last ultimate setup......projector on bedsheet, full thrustmaster HOTAS and adirondack for the perfect 60 degree posture with throttle & stick strapped to the arms.......

Sorry, I just rediscovered a longtime obsession - and off I went.

In short, the question of SMP is a difficult one. Like multi-threading - The OS kernel would need a complete re-build, as the app itself needs to refine the algorythm, for true parallel sequencing. This code has to be completely re-engineered from the ground up. I believe F 4.0 used the SMP to control all the individual elements, flown by avatar.

Anways....gonna shut up

Cheers for the trip down memory lane

TS