VOGONS

First post, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi friends, I've had nightmares trying to get a SB PRO2 on a P2B PIII1,13ghz . DMA errors, garbage sounds were major, setting "8-bit ISA BUS RECOVERY TIME" from 1(default) to 8, gives a so-and-so reprod. , static sound is still huge.

Some VIA based mobos have instead the bios option "ISA BUS CLOCK PCICLK/x" option, being x 1,...,6 . Are both the same hardware-level options? doing maths with a slowed PCI of 31mhz / 6 wil be 5.1mhz ISA bus vs 7.16 default-spec, will compensate the fast 1,13ghz cpu for the old SBpro? or Recovery Time @ 8 will do it better?

Reply 1 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you using the original PIII 1.13 or the Tualatin version?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 16, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The parameters are independent, the speed and recovery cycles.

First of all the ISA bus clock should be below 8MHz. Original PC had 4.77MHz bus, and some PCs can have the clock at up to 8.3MHz. If it is too high, it may not work, regardless of IO wait state amount (I think bus recovery means same).

Then as you have a seemingly fast CPU, you need to set IO wait states to maximum, as some driver code may want to do delays by burning IO cycles (doing dummy reads for example). The faster CPU you have, the less overhead there is per IO cycle so the IO cycles are performed faster on a faster CPU.

Best example is the original OPL2 chip (in Adlib and Soundblaster). The chip can most likely sit on a ISA bus with blazing fast 8.33MHz clock and zero IO wait states, but software drivers are written so that a certain amount of IO operations take certain longish amount of time, so on a fast system the software delays are too short and so the card is accessed too fast.

So not only the IO device itself may require certain bus clock speed and amount of IO wait states at the given bus clock speed, but also the software may assume it runs slow enough.

Try slowest ISA bus clock speed you can get, and maximum amount of IO wait states (bus recovery cycles).

If still too fast, disable all internal and external CPU caches and maybe even ROM shadowing to slow things down. If still too fast, underclock your CPU with a multiplier or changing to slower system clock (FSB). There may be a limit how slow you can go without stability problems, if motherboard/memory/CPU expects a minimum clock to be stable.

If still static problems, try sound card on a different, slower system, and determine if the sound card is broken.

Reply 3 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use an AWE64 Gold on machines that fast.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 16, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Use an AWE64 Gold on machines that fast.

Yeah, i have the awe64, but plain SB is more retro-cool and sounds great. Static noise is my big problem, seems it works like an amplifier of DMA noises, i can hear the CDROM reading the USB sticks, it drives me nuts. I got the case connected to earth, didnt improve.

Jepael : what do u think is more important to improve my problem, Recovery time or ISA mhz bus speed? becasuse i gotta choose between 2 chipsets.

Reply 5 of 16, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well you need to distinguish between noise floor and those bus transfer whimpering noises. With late ISA cards like AWE64 the former should not be noticeable. The latter is really present on all ISA sound cards I believe. The only one that I own and that doesn't have it is a YMF719 card with disabled amp. Otherwise you could just use every other quiet card with speakers instead of headphones, should do the trick as well.

Reply 6 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I understand that the SB Pro is retro-cool, but a Pentium 3 is not 😀

The Sound Blaster Pro 2 is actually a quiet card but it isn't the first time I heard of issues with fast machines. The joystick port also suffers from this.

It simply is the wrong card for your machine...

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 16, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought it could be dry-out caps on the SBpro, so I'm doing a full recap, takes times there's so much caps.
d1stortion: do u say using the headphone output instead of speaker's? in order to avoid the amplifier?

Reply 8 of 16, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not familiar with the SBPro so can't answer. But when I disabled the amp on my YMF card the difference was huge. It sounded like a waterfall with the amp on and once I turned it off I couldn't hear any noise at all.

Reply 9 of 16, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I understand that the SB Pro is retro-cool, but a Pentium 3 is not 😀

The Sound Blaster Pro 2 is actually a quiet card but it isn't the first time I heard of issues with fast machines. The joystick port also suffers from this.

It simply is the wrong card for your machine...

True, and I agree.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 10 of 16, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Not familiar with the SBPro so can't answer. But when I disabled the amp on my YMF card the difference was huge. It sounded like a waterfall with the amp on and once I turned it off I couldn't hear any noise at all.

Stupid question, but, HOW did u do that? how can i disable it?

Reply 12 of 16, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
piportill4 wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

Stupid question, but, HOW did u do that? how can i disable it?

On YMF719 you just set a jumper. I'm not sure whether this is possible on your card. If it has both a speaker out and a line out you could just use the line out to bypass the amp.

Reply 13 of 16, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't remember if the SBPro2 has a PC Speaker header. Sometimes connecting the PC Speaker's output to the sound card can produce exaggerated noises like the static noises during CD-ROM access, HDD reads and during screen scrolling.

For speed issues ISA RECOVERY time should be set high and the ISA CLOCK to low.

Also, some PSUs may cause these exaggerated noises with older sound cards.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it does (at least the revision I have). It also works at boot-up. With an AWE64 for example you won't hear the boot-up beep if that matters 😁

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 16, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Malik wrote:

I can't remember if the SBPro2 has a PC Speaker header. Sometimes connecting the PC Speaker's output to the sound card can produce exaggerated noises like the static noises during CD-ROM access, HDD reads and during screen scrolling.

For speed issues ISA RECOVERY time should be set high and the ISA CLOCK to low.

Also, some PSUs may cause these exaggerated noises with older sound cards.

Sorry I was bussy, I dont have the PC speaker connected to the SB, just to the mobo. How i hate those CD-ROM access, HDD reads and during screen scrolling noises, i will plug the SB out!!! cant tolerate anymore

Reply 16 of 16, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What you're hearing is most likely noise on the PSU power rails. I'd replace the PSU first, or at least the caps in it.

If the caps on your sound card are dead as well, or if it has a cheap DAC that is extra sensitive to noise, that will only make it worse.