VOGONS

First post, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I noticed hanging note when I was playing DOOM 2 (22nd level).
Believe me or not!

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 2 of 25, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here you go:
http://www.tunescoop.com/play/313938313537/do … ymf719_sc55-mp3

Hanging note appears at 05:05 then at 06:16 its level goes down. At 07:05 I made restart SC and after turning it back hanging note gone.

So what do you think?

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 3 of 25, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh no we are doomed! 😉

A question I have always had is how we 'know' that any card version is immune from it. Might well be none of them are and it's just a matter of degree of risk - and indeed a matter of randomness and time before the problem occurs. Then again I can't recall all the detail of all threads about the issue on this forum but I thought people had found bugs with immune versions of the sb16 DSP etc. I realise yours is not an sb16.

Do you find that the problem is reproducible? Under exactly the same conditions?

Did you play levels 1-21 in the sitting, ending up with a hanging note in level 22?

Reply 4 of 25, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you can reproduce it like that in the same spot each time? Certainly this is the first time I've read about this happening on YMF71x hardware. Guess you are using just DOS? I can only think of trying to set a different MPU-401 port and making sure you have the latest version of the game (1.9)...

Reply 5 of 25, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Hanging notes" bugs can occur by bugs with the software as well. I experienced it with AWE64 in Dark Forces when I alt-tabbed to Windows from the DOS window. When I got back into the game some notes were stuck.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stbunny, could you please run SETUP.EXE, change the sound so that there is NO device and test again for the hanging note bug.

Thing with Creative cards is that 95% of people (I pulled this out of the air) have a Creative card. So it might just be a case of not enough people testing with other cards.

And what happens in Hexen?

EDIT: Do you an AWE64 GOLD to test as well? IMO it is a very good card for using an external SC.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 25, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

"Hanging notes" bugs can occur by bugs with the software as well. I experienced it with AWE64 in Dark Forces when I alt-tabbed to Windows from the DOS window. When I got back into the game some notes were stuck.

That's how I used to come across it with an sb16, very frequently, before I came here and heard the term hanging note. Often associated with a game crashing but the noise continues when you end the process.

Think that's kinda off topic though.

Reply 8 of 25, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:
vetz wrote:

That's how I used to come across it with an sb16, very frequently, before I came here and heard the term hanging note. Often associated with a game crashing but the noise continues when you end the process.

Think that's kinda off topic though.

Yeah, exactly. Just wanted to point out that it isn't necessarily hardware related.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 25, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ratfink wrote:

Do you find that the problem is reproducible? Under exactly the same conditions?

Did you play levels 1-21 in the sitting, ending up with a hanging note in level 22?

I suppose yes, it is reproducible.
Not exactly. From 1st to 7th level I played with AWE32 + NEC XR385, then I bought Roland and swapped sound card to YMF719. So with Sound Canvas I've played from 7 to 24 and only in 22nd level noticed a hanging note bug.

d1stortion wrote:

So you can reproduce it like that in the same spot each time? Certainly this is the first time I've read about this happening on YMF71x hardware. Guess you are using just DOS? I can only think of trying to set a different MPU-401 port and making sure you have the latest version of the game (1.9)...

Yes, indeed! At exactly the same time. I'm using MS-DOS 5.0 and Doom 2 v1.9. Changing MPU-port does not make sense.

d1stortion wrote:
Stbunny, could you please run SETUP.EXE, change the sound so that there is NO device and test again for the hanging note bug. […]
Show full quote

Stbunny, could you please run SETUP.EXE, change the sound so that there is NO device and test again for the hanging note bug.

Thing with Creative cards is that 95% of people (I pulled this out of the air) have a Creative card. So it might just be a case of not enough people testing with other cards.

And what happens in Hexen?

EDIT: Do you an AWE64 GOLD to test as well? IMO it is a very good card for using an external SC.

I'd tried to set SFX device to NO SOUND in Doom 2 SETUP.EXE but got the same result.
If I had a copy of Hexen I'd test it.
I've just tested SC + AWE64 Gold... drumming... and YES, it has the same bug at the same spot of time. 😳

Reply 10 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ can you make a savegame before the bug? Wanna test it with both a sb16+db50gx and mpu401at+cm32l

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 25, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

^ can you make a savegame before the bug? Wanna test it with both a sb16+db50gx and mpu401at+cm32l

You can type "idclev22" in game and this will allow you to jump into 22nd level. Bug appears after 5' or so.

Reply 12 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright, off to test!

edit1:
it happens with sb16+db50xg , dsp is v4.13

edit2:
it doesn't happen with a real MPU401-AT + CM32-L , either in LA mode or "GM" one...

will test more with a SC-55 and a MU80 once I receive them... but it will be a while

edit3: I don't get the hexen hanging note bug with this SB16

Last edited by keropi on 2013-06-18, 15:23. Edited 2 times in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14 of 25, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:
allright, off to test! […]
Show full quote

allright, off to test!

edit1:
it happens with sb16+db50xg , dsp is v4.13

edit2:
it doesn't happen with a real MPU401-AT + CM32-L , either in LA mode or "GM" one...

will test more with a SC-55 and a MU80 once I receive them... but it will be a while

edit3: I don't get the hexen hanging note bug with this SB16

Great! I guess it's the only way to avoid the bug is to find genuine Roland MIDI interface.

d1stortion wrote:

You can use the Shareware version for this. Run it like Hexen -warp 02.

Thanks. After 15 minutes playing Hexen with "-warp 02" key there're no hanging notes.

Reply 16 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5u3 wrote:

Happens for me on real Roland hardware (LAPC-I -> MCB-1 -> SC-88ST).

😳
maybe it's a game bug and not a fault in mpu implementation, I tested with mpu401at+cm32l and it was OK

Reply 17 of 25, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, this isn't the usual hanging notes bug. Other hints:
- It is reproducible at the same spot every time, and always sounds the same
- It happens even when digital sounds are turned off

Reply 18 of 25, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm the hanging note for EWS64 XL+XR385 with vanilla Doom II.

Now for the interesting part. I tried it with Zandronum on the same system and it actually presents itself in a different way. The hanging note is there on the same spot, but it plays only very briefly, like for 2 or 3 seconds.

Reply 19 of 25, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What I know of this track at Doom2 level 22 is that it is also used in level 08. And the midi time-length is 5:01. According to the posted MP3 file the hanging note matches the end of the song.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul