VOGONS

First post, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same as title guys. I can get both for almost the same price. Which of these two is actually better for games and listening MIDIs just for pleasure?

I won't be playing old Sierra titles, so no need for earlier synths.

Lots of thanks.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 1 of 12, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

8850 of course as it's the ultimate GS synth. Although I've heard that the GM patches are actually not as great as on the predecessors but that's only hearsay. What price are you talking here? The last SC-8850 I saw on ebay went for about €650 (with box and everything) 😀

Reply 2 of 12, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

8850 of course as it's the ultimate GS synth. Although I've heard that the GM patches are actually not as great as on the predecessors but that's only hearsay. What price are you talking here?

probably 100 usd

At most 200 including shipping

Last edited by subhuman@xgtx on 2013-06-18, 16:43. Edited 1 time in total.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 6 of 12, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Guess you are buying this from Japan?

Here's some input for you on the matter: GM MIDI Tone Generators/Sound Modules - from best to worst

Yes. That topic is great to have an idea in general, but there's no mention of the 8850 there 😦 If the 8850 was absolutely better at everything than the SC-88 pro then I'd go for it without even thinking about it, but since you mentioned that it is said that the former is weaker at GM than its predecessor, I really don't know which one to choose

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 7 of 12, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about reading the whole thread. 😁 Honestly I think those higher SCs are a mixed bag for old games. Some songs will sound awesome, some mediocre and in some you just want the SC-55 map and there's the question how accurate that is on the individual unit.

Reply 8 of 12, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

How about reading the whole thread. 😁 Honestly I think those higher SCs are a mixed bag for old games. Some songs will sound awesome, some mediocre and in some you just want the SC-55 map and there's the question how accurate that is on the individual unit.

Lolie, Okay, not mentioned very extensively. It seems that the sc-8850 actually has a "sc-88 mode", that may help things out, but perhaps the older 88-pro has better compatiblity in general with GM.. Such a tough choice

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 10 of 12, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

I'd like to hear how DOS games sound on that new INTEGRA-7 😀

What are your experiences with buying stuff from Japan btw?

To tell the truth, not existant. I'm going to try using Cedega and services like that

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 11 of 12, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want something really exotic consider a JV-1010/1080. Those were real professional synths and their sound quality is amazing. Quite a different league compared to any Sound Canvas. There are youtube recordings that showcase their use for game soundtracks but I'm not sure how they would fare in actual operation for that usage though. No GS either.

Reply 12 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

What are your experiences with buying stuff from Japan btw?

I've bought some stuff from Japan. I use noppin.com. They have been good so far. They charge minimum 500 yen per auction (Yahoo auctions) or 5% of the winning price as service charge. Then there is a 3.5% PayPal surcharge on everything. Domestic shipping and domestic payment charges comes extra (as noppin needs to pay these to third party services in Japan)

They repackage everything for shipping internationally. This service is free if you choose EMS. For normal airmail it is 100 yen pr. kilo.

EMS from Japan isn't that expensive compared to what you get back (29 dollars for 1 KG to Europe, 25 dollars to North America. USPS charges almost the same for regular airmail 🤣 ). They handle any customs papers free of charge (atleast here in Norway) which saves me a 20 dollar handling fee if the package get stopped in customs by regular airmail) and they deliver on my door after 3-4 working days after it was shipped by Noppin! It takes less time to get a package from Noppin than to send one domestic here in my country!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes