VOGONS

First post, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://s192804805.onlinehome.us/images/1/7699 … ound_system.jpg

Good one? has yahama ymf2, better than awe64? worth it ?

Last edited by piportill4 on 2013-06-22, 06:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available....

Dodgy...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 18, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available....

Dodgy...

Im getting it from a local oldy stuff store, but it's a little priced (twice AWE64's price) worth it? works on w2k?

Reply 3 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always go by this rule.

DOS: ISA
Windows: PCI

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 18, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you mean by PCI? It's a ISA card...

I'm not familiar with it, but WSS isn't really a standard that seemed to be common in DOS games I played. And I'm not sure how good the SB compatibility of that card is. So as indicated by its name, the better sampling rate compared to SB is perhaps more useful in Windows. AWE64 might be the better choice.

Reply 5 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Windows I recommend PCI cards and for DOS I recommend ISA.

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 18, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

What do you mean by PCI? It's a ISA card...

I'm not familiar with it, but WSS isn't really a standard that seemed to be common in DOS games I played. And I'm not sure how good the SB compatibility of that card is. So as indicated by its name, the better sampling rate compared to SB is perhaps more useful in Windows. AWE64 might be the better choice.

Sure AWE64 it's a better card all around, but I've found with time that having many different sound cards gives you quite differents audio-experiencies in sound-quality, n it's funnier (love the power of my PAS16 over my gold awe64). But this one it's like 25 bucks...😖

Reply 7 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WINDOWS SOUND SYSTEMS ARE TERRIBLE (well the Crystal+OPTi variants i've tried anyway)

they often have poor dos gaming support (always needs an emulation TSR) and they're even bad when they're used with some games' drivers for MSS/WSS. They also rarely feature Directsound support (some do, most don't)

Having OPL3 a standard is probably their only saving grace. WSS cards generally are cheaply made, will sound noisy and will have spotty compatibility. Don't say I didn't warn you! None of them are better than the PAS16 or AWE64.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 18, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

WINDOWS SOUND SYSTEMS ARE TERRIBLE

Well, no, not really. At least not all of them.
Apart from the original Microsoft WSS cards, WSS is more like a "standard" like SoundBlaster compatibility. The MWSS piportill4 showed us was pretty good at the time it was released, as it had a clean analog output signal and featured 44kHz/16bit playback, something the contemporary SBPro couldn't do. But it was meant as a "professional" office audio solution and thus was not SB compatible at first (It needs a TSR).
Concerning all the other WSS compatible cards: Some work very well for me in both DOS and Windows, e.g. Crystal CS423X based cards, and do not need any TSRs. Others, like the opti cards you mentioned, don't. But that's not the WSS codec fault (AD1848 or CS4231 on most opti-92x cards), as the opti "sound controller" is responsible for SB compatibility.

Reply 10 of 18, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
piportill4 wrote:

leileilol: I'm taking your advice 4 good. What i dont like about this card it's has so few caps (2 litic and bunch smd) i've doubt about its quality

No offense, but that's an unfounded opinion. It has lots of tantalum SMD capacitors, which in fact were better than using electrolytics at the time as they didn't have quite the high-frequency nor low-impedance characteristics which are much more common in electrolytics, now.

I actually purchased one of these at a local surplus place for $3 just for novelty sake. I do look forward to trying it out, and I will replace the output capacitors with new bipolar electrolytics which are bypassed by polypropylene films.

Reply 11 of 18, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Logistics wrote:
piportill4 wrote:

leileilol: I'm taking your advice 4 good. What i dont like about this card it's has so few caps (2 litic and bunch smd) i've doubt about its quality

No offense, but that's an unfounded opinion. It has lots of tantalum SMD capacitors, which in fact were better than using electrolytics at the time as they didn't have quite the high-frequency nor low-impedance characteristics which are much more common in electrolytics, now.

I actually purchased one of these at a local surplus place for $3 just for novelty sake. I do look forward to trying it out, and I will replace the output capacitors with new bipolar electrolytics which are bypassed by polypropylene films.

Yep Logistics, there are bunch of smd, but not a lot. I didnt know that fact about lytics ones. My unfounded opinion is just my twisted mind that likes to see caps like in this http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/gus34.jpg

By the way Logistics, do you have one WSS? you like it?

Reply 12 of 18, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Microsoft Windows Sound System card.

It is a non-PnP card that has a genuine YMF262 chip and a 16-bit PCM part incompatible with Sound Blaster standard. Gets detected well by Windows 98SE. I didn't find that card very noisy.

The thing is that WSS PCM standard is not very widely supported in DOS games (albeit MSS 3.0+ and HMI SOS libraries do provide such support). Neither onboard sample-based synth, nor the daughterboard header is present.

Thus what you indubitably get from the card in DOS is OPL3 synthesis only. I wouldn't recommend it for DOS gaming.

Reply 13 of 18, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bristlehog wrote:
I have a Microsoft Windows Sound System card. […]
Show full quote

I have a Microsoft Windows Sound System card.

It is a non-PnP card that has a genuine YMF262 chip and a 16-bit PCM part incompatible with Sound Blaster standard. Gets detected well by Windows 98SE. I didn't find that card very noisy.

The thing is that WSS PCM standard is not very widely supported in DOS games (albeit MSS 3.0+ and HMI SOS libraries do provide such support). Neither onboard sample-based synth, nor the daughterboard header is present.

Thus what you indubitably get from the card in DOS is OPL3 synthesis only. I wouldn't recommend it for DOS gaming.

NT compatible?

Reply 17 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I say, give it a pass. (The WSS) 😉

Other than for historical purposes and for the "kick" in choosing the Windows Sound System as an option in games, you're better off with a real Creative or GUS card.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 18 of 18, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep Logistics, there are bunch of smd, but not a lot. I didnt know that fact about lytics ones. My unfounded opinion is just my twisted mind that likes to see caps like in this http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/gus34.jpg

By the way Logistics, do you have one WSS? you like it?

I have the card, but havent tried it, yet. Or do you mean the MSS speaker system?

And you're right, it doesn't have lots of smd, but I meant to suggest that it has SMD tantalums in places you would expect to see a 'lytic filter cap.