Weird Benchmark results, Socket 7

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:

Elianda could you develop a bit on that please? What is the difference? Are there many boards that work this way?
How can L2 cache off increase performance?

thanx

430FX boards with pipeline burst cache was not that common the beginning. Actually it started to be more common after the VX and HX chipsets were released in January 1996. How much performance increase PB cache gives over regular cache is not known, but I dont think it will be more than 1-2 frames pr. second in most games. The VX, HX, TX introduced PB cache directly soldered on the motherboard or they continued the COAST module as also found on the FX boards.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21 of 27, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:
Pingaloka wrote:

Elianda could you develop a bit on that please? What is the difference? Are there many boards that work this way?
How can L2 cache off increase performance?

thanx

430FX boards with pipeline burst cache was not that common the beginning. Actually it started to be more common after the VX and HX chipsets were released in January 1996. How much performance increase PB cache gives over regular cache is not known, but I dont think it will be more than 1-2 frames pr. second in most games. The VX, HX, TX introduced PB cache directly soldered on the motherboard or they continued the COAST module as also found on the FX boards.

Thanx vetz. I posted some results I hope they're useful.

Reply 22 of 27, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok some graphs showing up what's going on with the memory:

A) All settings on:

rq2.JPG

B) Internal cache disabled, External enabled:

h068.jpg

C) Internal cache Enabled, External disabled

4nyx.jpg

D) Both caches disabled:

5e27.jpg

Reply 23 of 27, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So disabling the L1 also disabled the L2, this can be normal with SRAM cache.

Enabling the L2 lowers main memory throughput considerably, even if L1 is off.
This basically explains the scores.
I would suspect timing settings that apply if the L2 is set enabled.

What are your memory timing settings? Do you use EDO or FPM? Are there extra settings/jumpers for Cache cycles?

Something else from my FX board:
i430fx_16MHzFSB_CacheOff.png

i430fx_16MHzFSB_CacheOn.png

The board allows to set FSB not only 40, 50, 60, 66, but also 16, 20, 25, 33.
With the available multipliers of 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 this allows from clocks 24 MHz with 16 MHz FSB to 200 MHz with 66 MHz FSB.
(PCI divider applies 😉 ).

With x4444 memory timings, memory speed goes down to 12 MB/s and CPU score to 1.94.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 25 of 27, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anther weird thing about this board. I put on a 166mhz Pentium MMX, set jumpers to 2.5 clock and 66mhz and the computer reads 167mhz and not 166mhz at boot screen!?

Reply 26 of 27, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How does the memory graphs change, if you change JP23 ?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 27 of 27, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Old thread, but I wanted to share my finds of this board. As Elianda stated, cache is SRAM. That explains L2 Off results.
Interesting boad but it seems that it would not be very useful if our purpose is to slow down to achieve 80386 and 80286 speeds.

- CPU: 75/90/100../180 MHZ VR/VRE spec
- Cache: 256K/512K Asynchronous SRAM
- 256K (two piece 32K X 32) Synchronous
- Pipelined burst SRAM
- Provides Write Back