User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rio444 wrote:
I bought a long time ago. Now you can buy VT82C42N in the USA, here. […]
Show full quote
feipoa wrote:

Where are you all getting your PS2-enabled keyboard controller chips and how much? I don't really want to order from China because packages have been taking more than 4 months to arrive.

I bought a long time ago.
Now you can buy VT82C42N in the USA, here.

keropi, HT6542 and Amikey-2 support PS/2, Amikey don't support.

$20 for shipping? Perhaps part of the cost is in the shipping. $25 for 10 units is a good price, but I really only need 2 right now. I suppose if I am to update all my 386 boards for PS/2 operation, then I could use 5.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 241 of 539, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's strange.
I thought shipping to Canada would be cheaper.
The same $20 is the cost of shipping to Russia.

Shipping in the US is only $3.

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 242 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From the perspective of distance traveled, you'd think it would be cheaper, but for the most part, I've been having to pay what Europeans pay for shipping from US to Europe. Shipping from the UK is often cheaper for me.

Reply 243 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still thing the price is nice. In the end each controller costs 2,5$ way cheaper than any other place I've seen. So in the end that expensive shipping isn't a big concern.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 244 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you need all 10 pieces, then I agree. If you want 2 or 3, then not so. It only costs $9.50 to ship those items here, so it is fairly large markup.

Reply 245 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was able to convince the seller that shipping to Canada is not nearly as much as to Europe. For any Canadians out there who want to make this PS/2 module, these VIA KBC's can now be shipped for $11 instead of $20. At $1.60 each, this is a pretty good deal.

Reply 247 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just received these VIA KBC's in the mail today. I can confirm that they work with PS/2 mice - I am posting from my Cyrix 5x86-133 system in which I just swapped out a Holtek HT6542B for a VIA VT82C42N.

Reply 248 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCBs arrived I will update tomorrow whether they work or kill mobos 🤣 🤣 🤣

JbO3jm9l.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 250 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://be.farnell.com/infineon/smbt3904e6327h … i-bf9f-00001000

Reply 253 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK. I have a bin of used BJT NPN transistors with mixed pinouts, so wouldn't want you to damage anything. I'm looking forward to your results, following which, I'll probably order a few PCBs. I already received the PS/2 KBC's.

Reply 254 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All I could do today was to assemble one board... I only had 0603/0805 parts so I used these instead of 1210
Untested atm 😐

SaINy0Cl.jpg

Reply 255 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1210 'eh? Guess I'll also have to put in a parts order. Did you find an existing ps/2 mouse bracket w/DIN?

Reply 256 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no I just made my own this one is also reversed by mistake and I just use it to test stuff 🤣 (port on the inside of the pc 😵 )

Reply 258 of 539, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

keropi, it looks excellent!
When will you test the device?

feipoa, Maybe I was wrong somewhere, I used smd 1208, not 1210.

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 259 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will test it maybe tomorrow - it's Easter busy time here and the stuff is at the office 😀