Reply 260 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am happy to report that the modification works perfect:

Wcl40Iyl.jpg

Kuc4UEql.jpg

I tested on my FX-3000 mobo , there was a via with the IRQ12 really close to the keyboard controller so the patch wire is small 😀

yseUcZ2l.jpg

GpxdgyNl.jpg

I plan to add this to all my systems that lack PS/2 mouse support - thanks for sharing this Rio444!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 262 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes! it is indeed needed!
Now if only we could find a cheap source of PS/2 brackets - the eBay ones are just bs prices....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 263 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh nice - you got it working. I guess I'll have to order some of these PCB's and transistors at some point.

The limiting factor is indeed the PS/2 bracket. The mini-DIN should be easy to find, but have you seen flat and empty slot cover brackets for which we can drill the DIN hole in?

Why is there, what looks like, garbled image on your motherboard's crystal oscillator and in the bottom right corner of the motherboard?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 264 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess for now the only way for brackets is the 2nd hand market....

There is no garbled image - that's ESD tape you see. The xtal just has an irrelevant piece still stuck but on the bottom part the tape completely masks the FX3000's VLB-look'a'like slot so I won't forget about it and use it by mistake. It looks like a VLB slot, it's labelled as LOCAL1 (iirc) but the pinout is so different it will fry a vlb card. Someone here tested it , ended up with a dead vga and I can confirm that just like in their case my LOCAL1 slot has the power pins in completely wrong places.
I will eventually remove this slot as it's useless and dangerous.

Reply 265 of 539, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I might try fabricating a few ps/2 slot brackets. I have through hole ps/2 din connectors. If I mount them to a small circuit board and mount that to a metal bracket should I just have a pin header exposed to plug in your circuit board? Are you following a certain pin out?

Reply 267 of 539, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another solution for PS/2 Mouse Slot Brackets?

31tBNip%2Bo1L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
+
15029003-2T.jpg
=
8178kgo1Q3L._SX425_.jpg

I use a stepped drill bit all the time on my guitar pedal casings and metal parts of guitars, those are thicker than slot covers or most old PC cases so I'm sure installing a PS/2 port is pretty doable. With my boxes I'd just drill the sucker right into the back of the case myself. Permanent, yes, but I plan to give my machines up after I die.

I could also see one being able to use Mouser/Vetco components and either soldering the jack onto the slot cover or creating a bracket to bolt it on there and hold it in place, or even alter a plate for one of the serial/parallel port mounts in the back of the case.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 269 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have found these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192437463352
They *should* be OK , the one I use on my test bracket is not that great - the cable comes off too easy.

Reply 271 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

I have found these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192437463352
They *should* be OK , the one I use on my test bracket is not that great - the cable comes off too easy.

What are you going to do with the 2 extra wires? Cut them off?

Reply 272 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if I get these connectors yes, I would cut them off completely.

Reply 273 of 539, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an ample supply of connectors I can mount to a circuit board like In he photos. I’d place a pin header to connect to the controller. Need to drill some test holes and mount on a bracket but this would be he idea.

6AAA9A20-3FAB-4B0E-BAC4-D195A88E576E.jpeg
Filename
6AAA9A20-3FAB-4B0E-BAC4-D195A88E576E.jpeg
File size
195.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 274 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How will you fix a plastic piece on the metal bracket? It's too much work to go this route IMHO

Reply 275 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a place to download tools to edit AMI and AWARD bios images to potentially enable mouse support in them?
I can see MODBIN is used for AWARD images, what about AMI? is there a tool available for it as well?

Reply 277 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh right, I remember this post... I doubt they will ever turn up tbh.

Reply 278 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree. I emailed a previous AMI employee who was getting rid of his old hardware, but he didn't have them either. The other option is to follow earlier in this thread and figure out the AMI BIOS checksum issue.

Reply 279 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried the mod with this 286/16 motherboard:

1ZdSNdDl.jpg

I got weird results:
- new TSR just freezes the pc after a few seconds of mouse usage
- old TSR does not freeze but moving the mouse also introduces random keyboard keypresses - you can actually exit Norton Sysinfo by moving the mouse left/right 🤣

Maybe some conflict - need to investigate more.