VOGONS

Reply 220 of 539, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good job!
In Russia we can still buy used PS/2 bracket for about $2 (without postage rate).
Computers IBM PS/2 appeared in 1987.
I think it's possible not to be afraid that Irq12 was not free on motherboards released after 1988-89.

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 221 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SUCCESS! Your PS2SUPPC.COM TSR driver program works with my AWARD 4.20 based motherboard. The problem was that there was a cold solder joint hidden under the heatshrink tubing for my IRQ12 connector cable. Once I discovered that, the ps/2 mouse worked fine.

Unfortunately, using Modbin to modify the AWARD 4.20 BIOS by putting a check mark in "Enable PS/2 mouse support" does not allow the PS/2 mouse to work as it does on AWARD 4.5x boards. I'm not sure why this is, but PS2SUPPC.COM works!

Is there anyway to get the Logitech mouse driver working with PS2SUPPC? For some reason, I need BIOS-native ps/2 mouse support to get the Logitech drivers working.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 222 of 539, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The TSR driver, like the procedures built into the BIOS, does not handle the packets from the mouse.
It only receive bytes in sequence. When the entire packet (3 or 4 bytes) arrives, it passes it to the mouse driver. The processing of the packet is performed by the mouse driver.
Some of the mouse drivers substitute the handler int74 (Irq12) and themselves receive and process the bytes from the mouse.
Therefore, I see no reason why the Logitech mouse driver may be not work.

Reply 223 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also do not understand why the Logitech mouse driver does not work. It works on all my AWARD 4.5x motherboards (about 10 tested). It works on two of my 386 motherboards when I swapped the AMI BIOS for MR BIOS. For whatever reason, all my motherboards which use the AMI BIOS + PS2SUPPC (about 6), the Logitech mouse driver is unable to find the PS/2 mouse. Same condition when using AWARD 4.20 + PS2SUPPC - cannot use Logitech mouse driver. Any idea how to test and correct this issue?

Reply 224 of 539, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe a BIOS string needs to be "patched" or something thereof? Just a thought.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 226 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rio444 wrote:

feipoa, try old version https://yadi.sk/d/6ODfcJ4T3QZVTM

I'll have a go at it, probably tomorrow. Right now I'm working on a connection diagram for keropi and have my module out of the motherboard.

Reply 227 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keropi, attached is a rough sketch of how I wired up the 7406 inside a DIP-40 socket. As it sounds like you just want a rough test to see if your motherboard will work, you can probably wire this up on a breadboard as I did early on in this thread. The drawings in the PDF should allow anyone with a soldering iron to assemble this module in the fashion I did it. I have not double-checked the PDF drawings yet, so there could be mistakes. I'll be checking it when I start to assemble my second module.

Here is a very rough wiring diagram done in pencil. When I am referring to KBC socket, I am referring to the DIP-40 KBC socket as part of my module, not the DIP-40 KBC socket on your motherboard. Of course, you can also offset the header some, but depending on the motherboard you install this into, there might not be room.

Filename
Feipoa_native_ps2_module.pdf
File size
213.63 KiB
Downloads
166 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And some visual aid for those who want to assemble the module how I did it. The header is JB welded to the DIP-40 socket. You must use a long header because the mouse header cable won't fit between the KBC and the header when the KBC is inserted. e.g. digikey part # 609-3490-ND. The two green components are the inductors. The 2 capacitors and 2 resistors are SMD and probably not visible.

Feipoa_KBC_PS2_Module_1.jpg
Filename
Feipoa_KBC_PS2_Module_1.jpg
File size
491.3 KiB
Views
File license
Feipoa_KBC_PS2_Module_2.jpg
Filename
Feipoa_KBC_PS2_Module_2.jpg
File size
516.67 KiB
Views
File license
Feipoa_KBC_PS2_Module_3.jpg
Filename
Feipoa_KBC_PS2_Module_3.jpg
File size
521.44 KiB
Views
File license
Feipoa_KBC_PS2_Module_4.jpg
Filename
Feipoa_KBC_PS2_Module_4.jpg
File size
538.96 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by feipoa on 2018-03-09, 10:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 230 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have some updates on Rio444's original design, with marmes 's help there is now a 2-layer board on OSHPark : https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/V2jbElxh

There is no need to make the 2 jumpers now, it's been taken care of at the bottom layer.

Tz2PIxMl.png

I have ordered some 0.8mm thick boards - l'll update when I receive them.

OBVIOUSLY order at your own risk 🤣

Thanks Rio444 for sharing this and marmes for making the pcb adaptation (I only offered bugging 🤣 )

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 231 of 539, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

keropi, If it's possible, boards with a thickness of 0.5 mm fit better.
I used these.

I even wanted to use board with a thickness of 0.3-0.4mm, but could not find the right material.
The thickness of 0.5 mm was very suitable.

Last edited by Rio444 on 2018-03-13, 07:57. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 232 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would be nice to label the base, emitter, and collector for the transistors so people don't have to cross-reference the diagram. If you're like me, you might try to desolder some SMD transistors and will need to verify B, E, and C locations.

Reply 233 of 539, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finished my second KBC-PS2 module. Works fine. Unfortunately, I plugged the module in backwards on a motherboard (dim lighting). The 30 AWG wire acted as a fuse and separated, however, the KBC died in the process. I replaced the KBC and the module works fine now, but that was my last KBC chip.

I went on eBay looking for the HOLTEK HT6542B or an AMIKEY-2 and could not beleive how much these are going for right now. HOLTEK shipped from USA is $28, or shipped from Hong Kong is $13. A few years ago, I bought mine for $4 each. Where are you all getting your PS2-enabled keyboard controller chips and how much? I don't really want to order from China because packages have been taking more than 4 months to arrive.

KBC_PS2_duo_1.jpg
Filename
KBC_PS2_duo_1.jpg
File size
360.11 KiB
Views
File license
KBC_PS2_duo_2.jpg
Filename
KBC_PS2_duo_2.jpg
File size
278.31 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 234 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rio444 wrote:
keropi, If it's possible, boards with a thickness of 0.5 mm fit better. I used these. […]
Show full quote

keropi, If it's possible, boards with a thickness of 0.5 mm fit better.
I used these.

I even wanted to use board with a thickness of 0.3-0.4mm, but could not find the right material.
The thickness of 0.5 mm was very suitable.

0.8mm is the thinner OSHPark offers - let's see how things turn out first 🤣
btw do you have any idea if the Amikey and HT6542 controllers support PS/2 mice?

pZrnNFrm.jpg

@feipoa
nice stuff 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 235 of 539, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Where are you all getting your PS2-enabled keyboard controller chips and how much? I don't really want to order from China because packages have been taking more than 4 months to arrive.

I bought a long time ago.
Now you can buy VT82C42N in the USA, here.

keropi, HT6542 and Amikey-2 support PS/2, Amikey don't support.

Reply 236 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rio444 - just to be ultra-sure before I solder the HT6542 - it's not the 6542B , does it matter?
The US auction is great btw

Reply 237 of 539, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

keropi, you puzzled me.
I could not find a datasheet for this chip anywhere.
Therefore, one can not be sure that it supports the PS/2.
However, the label is very similar.
And there are two sources where PS/2 is mentioned.
One, two.
Therefore, rather yes than not.

Reply 238 of 539, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hehe hehe
I'll start with the amikey-2 and when this works I'll try the 6542