VOGONS

First post, by Amigaboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So , I got a VLB card with a ET4000AX chip on it. So , the question is , how good is this card in a VLB surround?

Also , is there anything stronger for VLB, like VIRGE VLB or 3D RAGE vlb card?

Thanks in advance 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AX is what was used on the original ET4000 ISA cards, the later ET4000 chipsets were the ones that interleaved RAM (2MB) for faster speeds.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ET6000 and Virge both had interfaces for VLB, but as far as I know no cards were ever produced. I heard a rumour about a virge card a while back, but I wasn't able to find any documentation to back it up. I suppose if such a thing exists it would be coming from a no name Taiwanese company.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends what you want. For DOS almost all VLB video cards should be OK. For Windows acceleration ET4000AX is not good. CirrusLogic and S3 were quite popular on VLB as they were quite fast and had quite good Windows acceleration. ET4000 W32 & revisions were on ISA, VLB and PCI buses... good for DOS & Win.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have both AX and WP32 Chipsets on VLB cards and for VGA the speeds are about the same, but the AX looks much nicer. So I'd recommend the AX!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't know where to start taking a nice photo of a CRT with my crappy digital cam, so you'll have to take my word for it!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 8, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ooh you mean the VGA output is more cleaner, ok i thought you were talking about the hardware itself was so much more beautifull to look at. could be...
To be honest, i like VLB cards even if just for the looks, just like i fancy long cards like AWE32's.

If just 3dfx had put out a VLB card, that would have been awesome.