VOGONS

Smallest 486 MOBO I've seen

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This work reminds me of the cache rework I did on my HOT-433 v4 board. It came with single-banked 256K soldered on, it was real cache though. The jumper selector header had solder wires, so I also had to solder in jumper headers. Worked fine after the mods, but it makes me wonder why the MB maker didn't simply use DIP sockets and a jumper header. These parts wouldn't even cost $0.25 back then.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 23, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lets say you build and sell 100,000 boards. That .25 suddenly becomes $25000 dollars. Not even including the extra labor of sockets and jumpers. Coupled with the fact that the vast majority of people would never upgrade the cache.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22 of 23, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For 100,000 boards, the cost might be more like 1 cent 😀

I suspect it is because the greater the cache amount the tighter the cache timings become (at least in my experience). They wanted to eliminate the risk of people finding out that more cache = slower timings. This seems very motherboard-, FSB-, CPU-, and RAM-dependent. I'm in the middle of a 486 chipset comparison w.r.t this. The results are very puzzling. Double-banked 256K seems the safest bet all around.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23 of 23, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe too it is about the money, we see this also in our productions for electronics.
The masses in production and small amounts of unneccesary parts add up.
I do not think they could give a .... about timings back then, thats optional and relative to ram used.