VOGONS

Roland CM-500

Topic actions

First post, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am looking to buy one of these. Anybody know a good place to search for this product besides queststudios.com, amibay.com, and ebay.com?

Reply 3 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
trist007 wrote:

Did they make these with a 120v power supply?

-Tristan

Not an issue as they take DC. You can use a transformer to convert the Voltage, but it's much easier to just get a replacement AC adapter from your country.

http://youtu.be/5NUQpAZeAdo?t=1h35m34s

Also consider this regarding the CM-500:

http://youtu.be/5NUQpAZeAdo?t=56m12s

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it's pretty much the most expensive unit but one needs to understand that it's basically a two-in-one purchase. You get the CM-32L compatible part and also a Sound Canvas in a single unit...

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got mine for 70 dollars in Japan.

It is possible to get it for a reasonable price. Just need a bit patience and some luck 😀

Though in practical use I prefer using the separate SC-55mkII and CM-32L unit that I have. It is a bit less cumbersome than using the CM500. The CM500 is great though incase you have limited space and it fits perfectly on a computer where you only will be using either the CM or SC part rarely, but still will have some games which prefer one or the other. For instance Strike Commander is a game that requires a fast 486, but imo the music sounds best on the CM-32. 486 games normally use Sound Canvas / General Midi, so I have my CM500 normally set to SC mode, but it is great to have to the option to switch over without having to reconnect everything.

This is how my Roland devices are setup atm:

386 - CM32L
486 - CM500
Compaq Socket 7 - SC55mkII (along with Nec XR385)

Last edited by vetz on 2013-07-15, 21:35. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea Roland is Japanes, so a ton of gear available over there. Shipping usually costs as much of not more as they unit, at least with EMS.

E.g. I often thought about selling a unit, but Australia Post charges so much for shipping that it isn't worthwhile 🙁

But in general I wouldn't worry too much about the price as they hold their value very well. You should always be able to sell them without a loss.

Now with SoftMPU however prices could actually rise as a lot of people will now be looking at getting Roland.

My YouTube channel