VOGONS

First post, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After the commentary I made on one of the old 'Sound Card Compatibility' threads on PCI based cards, I've done quite a bit more research and am now prepared to do some experimentation with Mini-ITX rigs and DOS/Win9x. I plan on making one build specifically for DOS, and one build for GLide compatibility, after which I will test performance on the CPUs with the boards I'll have and attempt (attempt) to provide some info on the viability of VIA and Geode CPUs/motherboards for our purposes.

Now, for the 3DFX build in question, I plan on using this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIA-EPIA-800-VIA-C3-8 … =item3a8305d7bf motherboard, and want to use one of the Obsidian 200SBi's stil on eBay for the secondary GPU in the build. I have confirmed the onboard audio is SBPro compatible. (If it doesn't in the end... I have a backup plan that I know will work.)

Now, though before I make any purchases I need to locate where I can buy a medusa cable so I can complete the build... anyone have any ideas? It's not an imperative, I can just slap this Intergraph Voodoo Rush into the build and call it a day, but I'd like to maximize the build.

Reply 1 of 2, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finding the cables separately can be a pain. You'd probably be better off paying extra for a card that comes with the cable than buying a loose card that you can't use until a medusa cable comes along. I have a Quantum3D X-24 with the cable and a 200SBi without it BUT there was a special reason why I bought the 200SBi. Some 200SBi's have higher speed memory chips installed and are on a green PCB rather than a black one and are a bit harder to find. That was the only reason I was willing to buy this particular one without the cable.

Reply 2 of 2, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 8 of those cables, Maybe I could think of selling you one for a reasonable price.

He can also make it by his own or somebody else, since the cable pinout is uploaded on Falconfly

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png