VOGONS

First post, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you guys had to choose between a 486DX-33 or a 486DX2-66 system. Which would it be and why?

Its only those two options 😜

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 1 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm if it's only between these two then I will go with the DX2 😀

You can play more games, especially a ton of early 3D games that struggle on a standard DX. We are basically talking double the frames in most cases.

L1 cache and Turbo should allow old games to run but depends on mainboard and implementation.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Hmmm if it's only between these two then I will go with the DX2 😀

You can play more games, especially a ton of early 3D games that struggle on a standard DX. We are basically talking double the frames in most cases.

L1 cache and Turbo should allow old games to run but depends on mainboard and implementation.

^This. 486 gaming rigs didn't really start to shine until clock doubled chips started to become widely available. The DX2 66 became legendary largely due to it's gaming credentials.

Reply 3 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I started out on a DX-33. I finally upgraded it to a DX/2 around 1998 or so, and to be honest I wasn't exactly blown away. It's an improvement for sure, but not what I was expecting. If you want to play early 3D games you might as well get a Pentium.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the system has local bus graphics (VLB/PCI) I would go for the 486DX2-66. If it is an ISA system, then the 486DX-33 is good enough.
The 486DX-33 would play Doom well, whereas the 486DX2-66 with local bus would play also Descent well.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 8, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've struggled with this same question and settled on a 33MHz chip in my 486 rig. 66MHz definitely plays 3D textured games better (Doom, Commanche, Duke3D, etc) and was a much more popular chip, but even with turbo off it was too fast for some older games like Test Drive III and Falcon 3.0.

I think it comes down to what kind of games you want to play. For late-80's and early-90's non-textured 3D polygon games and 2D adventures, the 33 is ideal. For mid-90's textured 3D games, go with the 66 (I generally play these games on my P-233 rig instead).

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 6 of 8, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

If the system has local bus graphics (VLB/PCI) I would go for the 486DX2-66. If it is an ISA system, then the 486DX-33 is good enough.

I second that. It really depends what you want to build. A VLB+DX2 is definitely faster then a ISA+DX/33 build, but the DX-33 could be a nice early DIY system. I would choose it, if it would be my only RetroPC.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 8 of 8, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the opinions! 😜

It was such a hard decision but I have gone with a DX2-66

486DX2-66 with Tekram Cache Controller 356004KB/sec

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=