VOGONS

First post, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought a Sound Blaster Live! Platinum (CT4760) and when I install it I can't get the system to boot at all. I put it in any PCI slot on my XP machine (a Pentium D on an Asus 775VM800 motherboard) and I get a series of beeps (eleven in total) and a black screen. What's weird is that I can hear the HDD working after that, like I'm just having no video but the system keeps running.

I also tried a lot of things: setting it with and without the front panel, changing the PCI slot, disabling the onboard audio, and then tried it in two other (older) systems; I always get the same thing.

What do you guys think it could it be? Is it anything else I could try or it's just dead? I also can't find the meaning of the beeping, it's something like two beeps, a pause, 8 more, a longer pause, and a final one.

Any ideas are welcome!

Reply 2 of 3, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

What STX said fantasma, it's dead. I went through something like this when my Athlon XP 2000+ / Abit KT7A rig burned itself out (literally) about 2 years ago. Every single expansion card (including the SBLive! Value I had) was rendered useless - only the hard drives, DVD burner and floppy drive survived. A really sad time for me 😢 .

In your case, time for a refund (if you can get it) and/or replacement.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 3, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to hear that, maybe something similar happened to this one. I didn't try getting a refund because I didn't pay too much for it, and wanted to keep the front panel (I just hope it isn't dead too!).

The seller was a bit of a jerk though, when I complained he told me that I needed to take it to a technician to install it, because the card was in mint condition and I was probably doing something wrong (despite telling him in detail all the tests I made, etc). Oh well...

I intend to get a loose CT4760 soon, without the panel they're easy to come by.