VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the board this morning and I'm having some problems. I installed a Pentium III 667 with 133 FSB and it boots fine, provided you set it up manually in BIOS (6x 133). However, the board is VEEEERY picky when it comes to RAM. Even with some RAM declared PC-133 it will give me the 'Compaq' boot screen and start beeping like crazy and hang. I have a collection of about 20 different DIMMs ranging from 32 to 256 MB and I had lots of trouble finding three that work giving a maximum capacity of 384MB.

This behaviour is very inconsistent. Sometimes, if I plug in a PC-100 module, it only detects half of it. I also have this 512M PC-133 module that gets detected as 128MB. All in all, I'm confused.

The official page is very vague about supported processors. Maybe it thinks I'm overclocking. On Monday I'll try it with a Pentium II with 100 FSB and see, if it's any better.

Cheers
SainT

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I haven't come to the bottom of this but I think at least a part of the problem is related to overclocking since running FSB at 133 MHz spells trouble for most AGP cards. At least I found an ATI card that passes POST but I haven't run any tests to check overall system stability.

It appears that the board supports only 384 MB of RAM (unregistered) so that could explain the erratic behaviour when bigger modules are installed. It still doesn't explain why a supposedly 512 MB module is being detected as only 128 MB.

Cheers
SainT

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've experienced these ram problems my self... it's basically ECS that is the problem IMHO, cheap stuff... had 4-5 bat-a+ mobos , all various revisions... there is no rule of what it works, some mobos were good some no 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did another quick test this morning with a Pentium II clocked at 650@100. I used one stick of 256MB and two sticks of 128MB, all three of them PC-133. The board correctly detected all 512MB. I haven't got any more 256MB modules so I can't check, if adding more RAM would do anything...

I'll let it be until I can fine bigger modules.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 4 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

I'll let it be until I can fine bigger modules.

Bigger? 256MBx4 is the max for a i440BX chipset board, if all things cooperate. A 512MB module won't work.
Article:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/ram_bx_faq.html

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested all three 512MB modules that weren't being detected correctly in the 440BX board and they all work fine in a QDI Legend socket A board (VIA KT133A). I got another 256MB module but I can't test anything because I'm on vacation.

ECS board works fine at FSB 100 with 512MB of RAM. The moment you bump the FSB to 133, you start having problems.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png