VOGONS

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I got a Vortex 2 (Techworks SuperQuad) card to tinker around with. Using 2041 drivers+3.12 update on 98SE. I noticed some recurring popping noises in Unreal/UT (newest official versions). I had those games set to 32 voices and cut it down to 16 afterwards and now it happens a lot more rarely, so I'm wondering if it's a hardware DS3D voice limitation of the AU8830 chip. I don't really have anything else in this PC that could hog the PCI bus, so I don't think it's a bandwidth limitation. Other than that, the output of this card is certainly excellent though. Very quiet.

Also since both game and driver versions can apparently change things a lot I was wondering if anyone ever bothered creating a list with optimal versions for each game. E.g. with Unreal apparently older game versions are preferable while with Half-Life a certain update and settings will give the best results. Given the flaky nature of it all I guess the answer is probably no 🤣

Reply 1 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the same exact card in my 440BX machine, but I have not encountered any problems which you are describing.

I have little to contribute on what could be wrong. Maybe test it in another system if you have on available?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not PCI bandwidth, it's PCI latency. Graphics cards (AGP and PCI) sometimes cause problems with PCI latency. Of course so can things like VIA chipsets, although I have had problems on Intel chipsets too. What motherboard is this?

Unreal and UT's Galaxy audio engine is quirky with 3D audio in general. It probably works better if you get the OpenAL and FMOD audio engines that come with OldUnreal for example.

Reply 3 of 10, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's an ASUS CUBX-E. Video card is a Voodoo5 and besides that there's just a NIC as far as PCI cards go. Currently SBPro emulation is just disabled in the device manager. Is that enough given that I have an ISA card taking up the resources it wants anyway? Or do I need that .inf tweak?

Btw, aside from those issues, I think A3D is not bad. I don't miss that obnoxious EAX reverb in UT, and the HRTF can be decent with headphones. It seems to depend a lot on individual game implementation though...

Reply 4 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I've had problems with sound with Vortex2 and Voodoo5 in NFS3. Honestly I think all hardware accelerated sound chips have bus-related and driver-related problems and this is why I'm not so sad to see them gone.

Yeah A3D is pretty neat sometimes. But it can also be a pain in the ass. A3DAPI.dll seems unstable as I've played games that cause it to kill the Win9x kernel!

Driver 2041 was a good call. Later drivers have various bugs and the EAX support is not worthwhile anyway.

Reply 5 of 10, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, that's basically just due to your suggestion on Vogonsdrivers. Naturally I'd have used the newest ones otherwise. I've read most local A3D threads in the past and really have to wonder if any quality control was going on with those drivers. Not that a certain other company would be any better in that respect though...

Reply 6 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Part of the problem is probably the OS. 9x was not exactly the most reliable / robust OS around. The OS is wobbly, the drivers for graphics and audio are always sort of beta-quality, who knows what background apps are doing evil stuff, the mobo might not be quite stable, 9x has DLL Hell going on, etc. 😁

Reply 7 of 10, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed. Maybe things would've been a bit better if NT4 wasn't such a non-event in terms of being a gaming/DirectX platform 😀 (and the lack of something as basic as a device manager, heh)

Reply 8 of 10, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Figured I'd post this here instead of creating a new thread... I don't know if it's old news or not, but someone has managed to make A3D run under XP (and has a lot of cool A3D vids): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be_ZRR1rYuk

Looks like he has similar issues to what I've had with Unreal... guess in the end it's all just a buggy mess.

Reply 10 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

This is uber cool, are the drivers available?

He says in the text that the only XP drivers are all hacked and have bugs. I would imagine Google search would produce some results.