VOGONS

PVI-486SP3 Documentation / Manual

Topic actions

First post, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

This is a really helpful forum. Thanks to everyone who's posted their experience & knowledge here. I've been lurking for months, but this is my first post here...

I just bought a PVI-486SP3. Here she is:

Filename
PVI-486SP3.JPG
File size
860.51 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...and I don't have a manual. I did find a PDF:

Filename
pvi_486sp3.pdf
File size
2.94 MiB
Downloads
1458 downloads
File license

which appears to only have a "Technical Summary" section & appears incomplete.

I can hook up serial, parallel, floppy, etc. without difficulty, but for the PS/2 port, I'm lost, for example. It would be great to have more info on how to configure the board and what the proprietary (?) pinouts are for things like the PS/2 port.

Anyone have a manual for this motherboard? Asus doesn't seem to be any help & their FTP site appears to be down.

Also, anyone have any suggestions on how to properly configure this motherboard? RAM, cache, SCSI controller, VLB vs. PCI video card, etc.?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That manual you found is the official manual for this motherboard. It says how to configure everything except where what the pin-outs are for the PS/2 mouse connector. There are only 4 used pins on a PS/2 mouse port and are pretty easy to figure out what they are. The pins are:

Vcc (+5V)
Ground
Clock
Data

Use a multi-meter to determine which pin on the motherboard is shorted to GROUND, and which goes to the power supply's +5V line. The CLOCK pin should go to pin 39 on the keyboard controller chip. The DATA pin should lead to pin 28 of the keyboard controller. Then use the pin diagram of a PS/2 mouse port, provided by wiki to determine which pins on the female PS/2 port are CLOCK, DATA, GND, and Vcc. Wires these to the locations you just determined on the motherboard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector

Additional information (probably not needed):
The clock pin also likely goes to the output of a 7406 six-pack inverter IC, whereby the correspondong inverter input pin goes to pin 24 on the keyboard controller. The data pin also likely goes to another output pin of a 7406 inverter, whereby the corresponding inverter input pin goes to pin 23 of the keyboard controller.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 22, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
This is the pin assignment of the PS/2 mouse port on ASUS motherboard.
You can make the cable by yourself or purchase it from ASUS dealers.

Mouse Port DB9-Connector(#) PS/2 mouse-Port Signal(*) Signal
Asus (corrected) Connector (corrected)
1 5 5 2 GND GND
2 9 4 3 CLK DATA
3 - - - NC NC
4 8 8 5 +5V +5V
5 1 7 1 DATA CLK
6 - - - - -
7 - - - - -
8 - - - NC NC
---------- 3 4
1234 12345 + +
++++ +++++ 2+ +5
+ + ++++ 1+|+6
5 8 6789 |
(front view)

Source: c't magazin fuer computertechnik, okt 1994. page 272.

(*) Please note that the connection from onboard PS/2 mouse port to the
mouse connector is correct but the singal label is wrong.
(#) Based on information from Harald Gattringer. See following.

Jerry Lee
ASUS

Reply 3 of 22, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PS/2 port issue now solved. Thanks for all the info. I'll track down a 2x4 header & do some soldering if I can't find a pre-built connector from Asus.

Reply 4 of 22, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
5u3 wrote:
[…]
Show full quote
This is the pin assignment of the PS/2 mouse port on ASUS motherboard.
You can make the cable by yourself or purchase it from ASUS dealers.

Mouse Port DB9-Connector(#) PS/2 mouse-Port Signal(*) Signal
Asus (corrected) Connector (corrected)
1 5 5 2 GND GND
2 9 4 3 CLK DATA
3 - - - NC NC
4 8 8 5 +5V +5V
5 1 7 1 DATA CLK
6 - - - - -
7 - - - - -
8 - - - NC NC
---------- 3 4
1234 12345 + +
++++ +++++ 2+ +5
+ + ++++ 1+|+6
5 8 6789 |
(front view)

Source: c't magazin fuer computertechnik, okt 1994. page 272.

(*) Please note that the connection from onboard PS/2 mouse port to the
mouse connector is correct but the singal label is wrong.

I got the hardware I need (more or less) and was beginning to put this together. I went back and read the above & I'm a bit confused. The number values on the pins for the PS/2 port don't match the normal pinout (shown on Wikipedia, for example) and the (*) implies that there is mislabeling going on, but it's unclear what is mislabeled!

My guess is that I should be paying attention to the "Signal (corrected)" column and wiring things up as follows:

Mobo = Asus motherboard 8 pin header
PS/2 = PS/2 external connector to keyboard

Mobo PS/2

1234 6+|+5
++++ 4+ | +3
+ + 2+ +1
5 8

(Note renumbering of PS/2 port)

Mobo PS/2 Signal
1 3 GND
2 1 DATA
3 - -
4 4 +5V
5 5 CLK
8 - -

Can you please take a look to see if the above, updated, wiring scheme makes sense? Would hate to blow up my new prize 😵

Reply 5 of 22, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It took me a while to figure out which chip was the keyboard controller. (I'm still a bit green w.r.t. hardware.) Once I found the chip, it was easy to use the multimeter to test according to feipoa's suggestions.

I have validated that the above layout (my modified layout) is the correct wiring diagram.

feipoa -- For educational benefit, how did you know how the PS/2 port was wired up to the keyboard controller? Is this documented in the keyboard controller datasheet, or is there some other relevant documentation?

Reply 6 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For motherboards of this era, I believe most or all are wired as indicated on this specification sheet,
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/HT6542B-datasheet.html

I say this because I've seen different brand keyboard controllers used on the same motherboard PCB layout. I used this datasheet as the basis for adding ps/2 mouse support for motherboards which are not wired for ps/2 mouse support, as noted in this thread,
Native PS/2 mouse implementation for 386/486 boards using the keyboard controller

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 22, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been trying to get the PS/2 mouse header working with this mainboard for awhile now with no luck. Could some one with a working one please draw on the image showing the correct wiring linkage. So I can rewire the mainboard connector end of the cable. The red lines indicate the wires that are connected at the port connector end (I tested this with a pin and a multi meter).

Thanks

486a.JPG
Filename
486a.JPG
File size
154.11 KiB
Views
File license
486b.JPG
Filename
486b.JPG
File size
187.37 KiB
Views
File license
ps2port.jpg
Filename
ps2port.jpg
File size
43.85 KiB
Views
File license

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 10 of 22, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I checked how I had wired the cable at my last attempt and its the same as the picture above. The same thing still happens the mouse driver will load and detect a mouse on the ps/2 port but as soon as I move the mouse the PC locks up. I tried using a Logitech driver and CT Mouse. I tried 3 mice; 2 Logitech and a 2 button Microsoft.

Reply 11 of 22, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wired mine up where the above described pins on the PS/2 connector (labeled 1, 3 & 5 above) are on the right side of the connector, not the left. According to the female connector pinout shown here:
http://www.burtonsys.com/PS2_keyboard_and_mou … or_pinouts.html
the way I wired (my ASCII art "drawing" is above) things should be correct. I just need to give it a try. Unfortunately, I'm still in the middle of this build & don't yet have a way of testing.

I'll post my results once I have something loaded that uses a mouse.

Reply 12 of 22, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That would be of great help I fear I have damaged the mainboard by wiring the connector incorrectly. Even if there was another board for sale on eBay and I had the money I would be hesitant to buy it encase I damaged that as well.

Reply 13 of 22, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still working on this. I'm having problems booting off of a SCSI drive. I have tried two different SCSI cards. Funny thing is that it boots off of SCSI CD-ROM just fine. I haven't messed with SCSI for quite some time, so I'm probably missing something simple. I'll do some more digging before posting on vogons for help. Probably a hard drive jumper or something.

Reply 14 of 22, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was unable to get DOS 6.22 to boot from HD after installing it (successfully, according to installer) via floppy. I checked all the jumpers & everything looks good, so onto Linux for a sanity check.

BTW, if you want to install Debian 7 onto this old of a system with an old VGA card (I'm using a Virge DX PCI card) you will need to use the following boot options: 'vga=normal fb=false' or the system will crash when switching console modes.

Reply 15 of 22, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOS 6.22 is installed to a 2GB CF card plugged in via an IDE<->CF adapter. I have a PS/2 mouse plugged in, but when I run 'ctmouse' (CuteMouse driver), the machine locks up. I have a DOS prompt & a blinking cursor, so it may be that the mouse is messing with the ability to type on the keyboard somehow. In any case: no-go and not sure what to do next. A few possibilities: (a) I wired the adapter wrong (b) my wiring design was wrong (c) the PS/2 feature doesn't work on this mobo because it's broken (d) there is a problem with CuteMouse.

Any suggestions on what to debug next?

Reply 16 of 22, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to see you are having problems also. I wired every way suggested here. I tried a Logitech driver as well as ctmouse. I was having the same problem as you. I spent hours swapping things and changing BIOS settings. I got sick of the thing in the end and gave up.

I have gone back to using socket 7 motherboards with the cache disabled for 486 era games. I have found no logical downside to this and the parts are far easier to obtain. Still cant help thinking I would prefer to use a real 486.🙁

Reply 17 of 22, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried a different mouse. I've tried Microsoft's mouse driver. No luck.

Anyone out there have a 486 motherboard with PS/2 header that they've had luck with? Any advice to share?

Reply 18 of 22, by emote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have PVI-486SP3 with a working PS2 mouse. It is board v1.21 I think.

I bought what must be a standard PS/2 socket on eBay which has the 8 pin connector with 6 pins wired in a C shape. I checked the PS/2 jumper on the board was enabled.

It works easily. I use a Logitech MX518 mouse on a PS/2 to USB adapter. CTMOUSE driver v1.9.1 works, Microsoft mouse driver (8.2) works and a Logitech mouse driver (6.00) works.

Reply 19 of 22, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi emote,

Thanks for chiming in. Turns out it was user error. I was combing through the user manual and found there was a jumper that I had failed to set. Jumper is now set & PS/2 mouse is working like a charm!

There are other issues to figure out, but I've at least gotten past this particular hurdle. Above wiring diagram confirmed to work on the PVI-486SP3.

Thanks to everyone who added to the thread. This issue is now RESOLVED.

Last edited by zolli on 2013-10-06, 05:45. Edited 1 time in total.