VOGONS

First post, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Still have an unused PPRO 200 256K lying around, i already have a working XP6NP5 with a PPRO200 512K @ 233Mhz and 256MB EDO and 32mb savage 4 PCI.

Any good thoughts of what a mobo to get? or anyone have one for sale?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't go wrong with a VS440FX. That's what I use in my PPro system. It's a nice stable board with a good layout, and since it was used in a number of OEM systems, it's one of the easier models to find.

Reply 2 of 3, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finding motherboards isn't an issue, it's getting the Pentium Pro/P2OD chips to put in them that's the issue. The gold scrappers are going crazy melting them for the gold content and the P2OD chips were never common to begin with, so rarity and demand are driving the prices up to ridiculous levels. Unless there is a specific reason why you absolutely must have a Socket 8 based system, I'd go for a PII instead.

Reply 3 of 3, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless there is a specific reason why you absolutely must have a Socket 8 based system, I'd go for a PII instead.

Hypothetically speaking, would "having an unused PPro chip laying around but no board to go with it" be a specific enough reason?

Because he said in the first few words of his post that you didn't read, that he has an unused PPro chip laying around. And no board to go with it.