VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all,

I have some problems with a floppy card. It came without the onboard bios.. And finding someone that having the same card too..
But he willing to make a copy of it, but he cant because doesnt know how to do..

Myself having a eprom reader / writer, but that guy doesnt.. The only way to get a copy is to using debug..

I dont have any experience with debug.. So i dont know how to use it..

I know that the floppy card using a 64kb rom chip on board.. But i dont actually know if the rom is also 64kb too.. I think i could be a lot smaller..

I like to know how to dump the file from his floppy card bios to file on harddisk or floppy disk..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 5, by socram8888

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the said ROM is inside the floppy unit, he's not going to be able to dump it without using a Willem reader or something like that.

That ROM stores the program that the CPU inside the disk drive (the Commodore 1541 for example uses a 6502, and Iomega ZIP drives use 8051-based ASICs) uses to parse the commands coming from the PC, like fetching a certain sector or moving the head. The PC can only send some "tokens" to the card, but it doesn't have raw access to the controller data bus. Unless the drive has a debug feature (which is very unlikely), your only hope is using an EPROM dumper.

Reply 2 of 5, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He's talking about a standard ISA floppy controller... or at least I assume he is. The ROMs on those will show up as a standard option ROM, meaning that, if you can boot to DOS, you can dump the ROM with the DEBUG command, basically just by specifying the ROM address and size. There are also some easier to use utilities, if you don't like messing with DEBUG... Mike Brutman's PCJrCart should be able to do it.

Reply 3 of 5, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah old thrashbarg have it right.. I did indeed mean from a 8-bit isa floppy controller card..

Do you know if this will work?
http://www.mess.org/_media/dumping/dumppc.zip

Reply 4 of 5, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually use NSSI. It has a nice menu option to save specific or all ROMs to files. No manual fiddling with debug required.
The files are named by memory location so finding the option ROMs file is easy.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 5, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

I usually use NSSI. It has a nice menu option to save specific or all ROMs to files. No manual fiddling with debug required.
The files are named by memory location so finding the option ROMs file is easy.

I have tried it now on my 8086 system, but it requires an 286 machine in protected mode to use the full options of this program.. On an 8086 it wil only in basic mode..