VOGONS

3dfx Voodoo image quality

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The diagonal sinusoidal brightness stripes is analog noise. This gets specifically pronounced on still images but is not as strong visible when the card runs due to a phase shift each frame. So it averages out.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 22 of 29, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:
Well, seems no one checks my hardware gallery ;-). So here are direct links: http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/3dfx_v … mag […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:
elianda wrote:

Voodoo1 with 8 MB, so I could set 800x600 resolution.

Is there such a thing as an 8mb Voodoo 1? We need pics.

Well, seems no one checks my hardware gallery 😉.
So here are direct links:
http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/3dfx_v … magic3dplus.jpg
http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/3dfx_v … 3dplus_back.jpg

I currently try to check how 24bpp and the dithering filter play together. I could reproduce the slight color banding effect in the UT menu, but I have difficulties to see a difference in game.

edit: Found the problem. It is enough that the Key exists in the registry, independent of the actual DWord Value.

If that's 8mb that's pretty cool! Still like to see the tests with different cards just to rule out local effects - V1 vs V2 still seems off to me...

Reply 25 of 29, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Maybe I am getting very old then because it all looks the same and great to me 😀

I'm with you, guess mt close to 40 year old eyes are the same as yours....I cant tell a difference!

Reply 26 of 29, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

The diagonal sinusoidal brightness stripes is analog noise. This gets specifically pronounced on still images but is not as strong visible when the card runs due to a phase shift each frame. So it averages out.

Wait, those are captures and not screenshots?

DOSfan1994 wrote:

Does Voodoo 1 have 16-bit High color?

Of course it has such output.

Reply 27 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:
elianda wrote:

Wait, those are captures and not screenshots?

Of course, with screenshots it wouldn't make so much sense since it would not consider all the DAC stuff of the cards.
The DVI2PCIe settings were kept the same all the time of course. (The capture card does not do AGC).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 28 of 29, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voodoo1 SST_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE=1 That leads to a much sharper image with the voodoo1 😀 according to your pics!
In order to get smooth framerates I go down to 512x384 which also gives me a good picture quality on my 15" Eizo (1024x768) but the texturefiltering is not so nice. So I am currently checking out how to get a sharper and nicer image. Any advices beside the disabling of the filter mentioned above?

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines