VOGONS

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last week I found a neat P1 era at rig that is promising and runs fairly well despite the slow 1.2gb Quantum fireball but I am expecting to be using this system for mostly early to mid Win9x era gaming. So I am wondering what would be the best storage option that is still bootable for Win98 without breaking the bank. It has a 430VX era board so bios limitation might be a meager 8gb and having no drives on hand that are that small since the house fire I would have went with a 8gb CF card but I am wanting more.

Retail P1 150mhz, 48 mb ram (want to upgrade to 64) Trident 9680, Supertech GCT-8iv (known under another brand but same model), SB64 Value edition. In a few weeks I am expecting to have upgraded the graphics card and have the ram upgraded.

In short if scsi is worth it what problems besides heat and noise should I expect?

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1 of 14, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's also another option: a PCI ATA66/100 card with a more modern IDE hard drive. The cards are fairly plentiful and cheap these days (probably about the same price and availability as a decent SCSI card, really), and that would bypass any BIOS limitations. A 40-80GB hard drive can also be had cheap, which would give you plenty of space and similar speeds to an average SCSI setup.

I personally like SCSI, but unless you just really want to play with it, I don't know if I'd really recommend it unless you already have some of the requisite parts on hand. Collecting together the controller, cables, drives, and possibly adapters depending on what sort of drives you get... the costs can add up quick. And it can be a little bitchy if you're not used to working with it. Noise and heat aren't so much an issue on newer drives (i.e., after 2000 or so, when they started switching to fluid dynamic bearings).

Reply 2 of 14, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got PCI Sata controller and running 64 GB SSD drive with windows 98 and DOS 7.1 without any issue.

AMD K6-II 500, Nvidia TNT2 AGP, 256 MB RAM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•• WANTED: ROLAND SCP-55 ••
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Reply 3 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Having tested heaps of gear I can also vouch for PCI controllers. I went with SATA though and notebook HDD 😀

Just keep in mind partition size limitations. I use a single 30GB FAT32 partition on a 320GB drive without any problems. You might have to use special tools like super fdisk to partition such a large drive.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went PCI SATA controller and a 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD drive for my Compaq.

Nothing can really compare to the speed increase.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK thanks and I am liking the pci sata option as I will have two extra 2.5 sata drives after I do some upgrades on two other systems. Thinking of using the onboard primary ide channel for cf cards as removable storage and got a decent caddy for the 2.5 sata drives (mounts two drives in a single caddy). Should I expect any installation issues for win98 if I pre-format the drives on another rig? A 120gb and a 160gb drives but want full format with only single partitions?

Reply 6 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you will have issues.

Use super fdisk to create a single 30GB partition and then install Windows 98.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 14, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thinking of using the onboard primary ide channel for cf cards as removable storage

You can try it, but it may not work as well as you hope. For one thing, removable storage isn't very convenient when you have to power the machine off to remove it, but more importantly, a lot of older boards will refuse to boot from an add-in card if you have drives connected to the onboard IDE. My 440FX board behaves that way... it won't boot off the SCSI card with any sort of IDE hard drive connected, and I also had to put my IDE CDROM and Zip drive on the secondary channel, leaving the primary empty.

Reply 8 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK thanks for the heads up, I might just limit the CF card option as a slave device on secondary then. I'll just use the 120gb and make just several partitions. Lets say 30gb for boot and the rest format later will it recongnize? I normally built my past retro rigs around xp and nt so my win9x is stunted.

edit: Decided to ditch cf ide altogether

Reply 9 of 14, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which version of 98 are you planning to use? I'm not so familiar with the limitations of 98FE (because the last time I used it, the largest hard drive available was ~20GB), but I know for sure 98SE should have no problem with a 120GB drive, even with just a single partition.

Reply 10 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SE and I haven't looked into unofficial updates but am aware of a few tweaks from reading other posts. I am better about hardware but software isn't my cup of tea, would be nice if the prices went down on 3dfx cards as I need to rebuild the collection.

Reply 11 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've played around with some of the unofficial updates for 98SE, and frankly I wouldn't bother with them. They add almost nothing in terms of features, and they just slow things down and add a lot of instability.

Reply 12 of 14, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I consider the 98SE unofficial service pack to be essential... though it is best if you stick with the older, stable 2.1 or 3.0b4 versions. The newer versions are done by someone entirely different, and he's pretty well taken the whole project down the toilet.

Reply 14 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Due to a change of plans when I bought some scrap laptops the sata drives ended up being needed for something else. So I found a new in box adaptec ide controller with proper win98 support and bought some decent ide drives. A single 250gb for main storage and swap while a 6.4gb seagate for boot. The reason why that everything is that the card can only boot from the first pci slot (scsi option) but had no where else to install my voodoo rush.

Remounted the board on brass stand off instead of the silly plastic crap that was common for these AT rigs.