VOGONS

First post, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After a lengthy absence, I have returned yet again to the forums of VOGONS. My frusterations seem to continue to grow with my 486 modification projects and i decided to dig through my old stuff once again (after trying to find a place to put a motherboard and cpu that my brother gave me).
I discovered that apparently I have a GA-6OXET motherboard just sitting pretty in my closet... I had completely forgotten about it and have no idea how long it's been there. 😕
I had put no small amount of effort into my GA-6OXET-C build before and am looking forward to testing out the slightly more feature ladden version of the board.
This project should serve as a good distraction while I rethink my socket 3 builds (just found an IBM 5x86 plastic packaged cpu and glued a heatsink onto it for testing purposes, but that's another topic for another time).
gqm1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome, although I'm fairly bullheaded and will probably just do whatever I feel is the funnest options.

Considering:
6800 Ultra Geforce
1.4 GHz Tualatin CPU
SATA controller card... etc.

I was also considering trying to make it a BiS 2001 build or something of that sort.

/rant.

Reply 3 of 19, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ncmark wrote:

What OS are you going to run? 😈

Well, if I make it a BiS 2001: Windows XP or Windows 98SE are my picks.
Otherwise, I might run Windows 7 or Linux on it.

Windows 7 might actually be an interesting benchmark for it, cdoublejj. I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it. I'll just have to make sure I still have a license for the 32 bit version.

I'm still looking through my list of potential parts to use in the system, so if anyone thinks of suggestions to hardware combos, that would be interesting to me.

I also wonder if anyone has tested a speed difference between running 4x128 MB sticks vs 2x256 MB or 1x512 MB. I'm sure any speed differences would be virtually undetectable anyway, but I am curious and powerhungry.

Also with the onboard Creative card, would it really be worth it to add an audigy or similar card? Hmmm...

Thanks for the replies, folks. 😀

Reply 4 of 19, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it runs great on Pentium 4's with when switch to classic theme and few services switched off. i've never tried really turning off extra services like i have with XP.

Reply 6 of 19, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Win7 should run on this but half a GB will hold things back a lot but cpu wise it is no worse than some of the low end laptops that sold in the past two years with an single core AMD c series.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 19, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Win7 should run on this but half a GB will hold things back a lot but cpu wise it is no worse than some of the low end laptops that sold in the past two years with an single core AMD c series.

That's what I've been hoping, since my Ga-6OXET-C build was outclocking almost every (at the time) new Intel Atom processor in raw performance. The memory will hold it back but that seems to be the problem with those chipsets, the limit on memory size.

I can't remember where I put my 6800 Ultra, so I'll be using a 7600GT for now I guess. Performance will only be slightly less, I'm assuming, considering that the CPU will probabaly be the limiting factor at this point.

Does anyone know what the Creative CT5880 chip is roughly equivalent to? I'm guessing it's about that of a Live! card.

The more I look into these boards, the more I wonder why folks would select any of the others over these, such as the Abit ST6? I mean, yeah I get that the VIA enables more RAM, but I doubt that the performance can top the selectable FSB speed range of the Gigabyte board.

Reply 8 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that CT5880 chip kinda reminds me the PCI128 card... no chance this is an onboard live! unfortunately...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 19, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

that CT5880 chip kinda reminds me the PCI128 card... no chance this is an onboard live! unfortunately...

Yeah that's OK I guess. I have an audigy somewhere too if I really want a good sound card anyway. Thanks for the info. 😀

cdoublejj wrote:

why not just install gig since it is a Tualatin.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if i understand your suggestion. "install a gig" part in particular.

Reply 11 of 19, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nemesis wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if i understand your suggestion. "install a gig" part in particular.

Obviously, 1GB of RAM, but does your board support 1GB of memory?

Reply 12 of 19, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:
nemesis wrote:

I guess I just didn't see that as obvious, given the lack of context. But thank you for clearing that up for me.
No the board cannot support more than 512 MB of ram. 1 GB would be nice, but such is the woe of using an Intel chipset.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page … spx?pid=1383#sp

Specifications.

Reply 13 of 19, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the good old times we used to say Meg for Megabyte. The logical next step is Gig for Gigabyte 😉

Anyone remember this one?
Mary had a little RAM -- only about a MEG or so.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 14 of 19, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Logistics wrote:
nemesis wrote:

I suspect that internally that it does but Intel made sure that it can only work with up to 512mb and it might be possible to get around this but only with a low level special patch to the chipset/bios.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 15 of 19, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess I'm not going to live this down. I get that "gig" is short for "gigabyte", but I had forgotten that it wasn't common knowledge that Intel limited the motherboards to 512MB of RAM support. Instead I wondered what else cdoublejj could have meant by:

cdoublejj wrote:

why not just install gig since it is a Tualatin.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Reply 16 of 19, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sadly, I'm having to hold off on my Tualatin tests and benchmarks on this system.
I attempted to swap the CPU for the 1.4GHz model and the stock Intel heatsink bracket snapped. OK, no big deal. I can replace that. Next one of the teeth that the brackets grip broke off (I'm not being rough with this, I swear! I've done stuff like this countless times and I've literally never had that happen).
So while I repair/replace the parts, I'm forced to reconsider an Intel build, before this catches fire on me or something... 😠

Thanks for the support anyway. I do appreciate it.

Reply 17 of 19, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nemesis wrote:
I guess I just didn't see that as obvious, given the lack of context. But thank you for clearing that up for me. No the board c […]
Show full quote
Logistics wrote:
nemesis wrote:

I guess I just didn't see that as obvious, given the lack of context. But thank you for clearing that up for me.
No the board cannot support more than 512 MB of ram. 1 GB would be nice, but such is the woe of using an Intel chipset.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page … spx?pid=1383#sp

Specifications.

just because gigabyte says it doens't support 1gb of ram doesn't mean it's true. i have upgrade several machines past what the OEM OR Intel says it can handle some of which were p3 builds.

Reply 18 of 19, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just because gigabyte says it doens't support 1gb of ram doesn't mean it's true.

Perhaps, but in this case it is true. That board uses an i815 chipset. It is a well known fact that the 815 will not accept more than 512MB in any way, shape or form.