VOGONS

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I fondly remember the days when my only computer was an Amiga 500 with a GVP HD8+ (Fast SCSI-II HD + 2MB FastRAM) and a 1084 monitor.
Back in those days, I though it would've been cool to have an Amiga 1200 instead, due to its AGA graphics and faster (and more expandable) hardware.
Problem is, before that could ever become a reality, PC's overtook Amiga in terms of performance, and I swapped sides.
However, I'm considering getting an Amiga again, at some point in the not to distant future, but I've got a couple of questions, and as far as I know, there are some people here on Vogons who meddle with the good old Amiga as well.

Is the A500 the ultimate gaming Amiga?
I seem to have read somewhere that if you're going to get an Amiga mainly for playing games, then it's the A500 all the way, as the A500 chipset is more compatible. Not my words btw.
I would be gutted if I spent lots getting a nice juiced up A1200 only to find that some of my favourite old games don't run on it. It does however, seem to be much harder to get HD's and such for the A500 these days, and I wouldn't want to be completely reliant on floppies all the time. It was SO convenient back in the days, being able to play games from the HD, rather than having to swap floppies every few minutes. Monkey Island 2 was bad when it came to that. Swapping floppies every time you went from one island to another. *sigh*

How fiddly is it to get into accelerator boards and such for the A1200?
If I was to get an A1200, I'd probably like to max it out a bit. Will this interfere with games compatibility? Is it likely to cause stability issues and such?

How difficult is it getting an Amiga to run well on a modern VGA (either CRT or LCD) monitor?
I saw somewhere, an A1200 with a mod allowing it to run DVI. But I can expect to be able to send the machine off to some bespectacled professor with soldering irons for fingers, just to mod it with DVI output. 😉
They still sell scan doublers on eBay, although slightly highly priced. How good is the picture quality using a scan doubler?

If anybody have some thoughts on any of these issues, or any other helpful info, please don't hesitate to let me know.
If you'd just like to tell me "just don't" about getting into Amigas again, then fine, you can do that as well 😜

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 1 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now I am not an expert but I believe the 1200 is the way to go.

I don't know what it's called but there is software that runs floppy images from a CF card or something like that. So you have 1000s of games on your machine 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 12, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get a 1200 with some more RAM and WHDLoad. WHDLoad basically fools floppy software into thinking it is running from the actual floppies when instead it is running from a hard drive. Magnificent utility 😀.

Reply 3 of 12, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Get a 1200 with some more RAM and WHDLoad. WHDLoad basically fools floppy software into thinking it is running from the actual floppies when instead it is running from a hard drive. Magnificent utility 😀.

Yeah, I've head about WHDLoad. It really does seem like a brilliant way to do it. And there are no issues with games not wanting to run on the AGA chipset?

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep, A1200 + 8MB fastram at least + hdd = goodness , whdload patches and fixes games so they run fine

regarding the DVI output, you need to purchase an Indivision MK2 scandoubler , they are new hardware and on the 150eur mark... they output real dvi-d/hdmi signal. Earlier MK1 model was vga and all ancient scandoublers are vga with predefined modes that makes PAL software output a 50hz vga signal that is not compatible with all monitors. The indivisions (and especially the mk2) lets you chose/create your own output resolution for every amiga mode.

regarding accelerators, you can't go wrong with a good 030-based one. Even if you used a 060+ppc accelerator whdload would take care of any incompatibilities , it's an awesome program. Just for games though a 030 is more than enough.

I suggest you register on amibay.com and have a look at the ads there, it's a great forum to buy/sell stuff... new stuff can be purchased from amigakit.com or vesalia.de and ofcourse other related retro/amiga forums with an ads section.... and eBay 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 12, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had both a 500 and a 1200 until recently.

The 1200 was the way to go. I had a 4GB CF card configured as a hard disk, booting into classic workbench 3.0

WHDLOAD makes things really easy if you can find a premade install for the program you want to run. (search for KG WHDLOAD)

One thing to note is that the 68000 processor used in the A500 doesnt support the quit key in WHDLOAD so you have to reboot after running every program. On 68010 or later the quit key is supported so you can go back to workbench and start a new program straight away. (not that amigas take long to boot, especially on a CF card...)

For monitor, as keropi said there are DVI and S-Video options available. However if you can track down an old Commodore 15KHz RGB monitor, that will look the best.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 12, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say a basic A1200 would give you more options than an A500. However, it's easy to get sucked into the upgrade madness with them. Go for a basic ram upgrade for the trapdoor and a 2.5" IDE drive. Leave it there.

Anymore than that and you start paying crazy money for obsolete hardware and the basic kind of functions we take for granted these days (ie the Indivision VGA/DVI output mentioned earlier).... and you though old PC stuff wasn't cheap! 😢

I speak from experience: A1200, tower case, PCI busboard, Blizzard 68060, SCSI board etc..... and they're really temperamental things; you just need to look at them a little odd and the next time you try to boot it up it will bitch and moan at you. I ended up removing the PCI busboard, scsi adapter and loads more - just have the ram and cpu now.

Stick with a basic config and treat it as it is - an example of a fine early 90's home computer.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 7 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ had some heavily expanded A4000s some years back, csppcs, g-rex4000pci etc etc ... it wasn't and amiga feeling anymore.
All you really need is an A1200 with 030+fastram accel, a hdd and possible a scandoubler if you don't have room for a crt monitor. With that setup not only you will be able to play 99% of the games but you'll actually enjoy using the machine without having to worry about slow/ram/restriction problems...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 12, by Gabucino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
socram8888 wrote:

If the A1200 is too expensive, you may try looking for a A600 instead, which last time I looked at eBay were cheaper.

That's okay if it's only used as an A500: from floppy. Booting from CF/HDD (itself requires at least the bugfixed 37.350 kickstart, or else hello constant filesystem errors), and using WHDload is a no-go without a 4Mb SRAM PCMCIA card (not flash and not larger - rare), AND an internal chip ram expansion up to a total of 2Mb. Burns a lot of monies.

Reply 10 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A600 fastram is not expensive anymore: http://kipper2k.com/amigaforsale/
39$ for 4MB or 49$ for 8MB , both sit on-top of the 68000

Reply 11 of 12, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want to run everything, and use your Amiga like a real computer, get an A1200. If you're happy treating your Amiga like a floppy based game console, an A500 is fine. I have an Amiga 500 which I use with floppies created with transdisk and a serial cable. Yes I miss out on the AGA games, but there are plenty of OCS games to keep me busy.

Reply 12 of 12, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hatta wrote:

If you want to run everything, and use your Amiga like a real computer, get an A1200. If you're happy treating your Amiga like a floppy based game console, an A500 is fine. I have an Amiga 500 which I use with floppies created with transdisk and a serial cable. Yes I miss out on the AGA games, but there are plenty of OCS games to keep me busy.

Naw, can't be arsed with swapping floppies all the time. Did that enough back in the days. If I decide to get an Amiga, it will most likely be an A1200 with accelerator and HD.